mic pre advise

azrider

i record rap music on the mbox 2 and want to buy a mic pre to help my vocals out, i have a studio project b3 mic, i was wondering which mic pre would be best for rap vocals.
Studio Projects VTB-1 Tube Blend Mic Preamp-
M-Audio Audio Buddy-
ART Tube MP Project Series Tube Microphone/Instrument Preamp

Amek 9098 Eq Pre(Neve designs) is the best out there, you will only find them on ebay , used for around 1k, to me they are worth alot more than that. i recently bought 2 to run 2 vocals at one time or bass, guitar etc ;)

Im not familiar with that mic but,I would probably use a good SS mic pre for that sharp, focused,up front sound. Just as long as the mic doesnt sound.....spitty(cant think of a good term). Some SS pres seem to be more apt to emphasise that . It also depends on how your tracks are sounding on the recording. If theyre getting kinda harsh, try the tube. As for the ART, I cant say I was all that blown away by it. But thats just me.The other two...no idea. I guess you could say that there are a lot more variables to it than just a "which one is better".

Out of your three choices VTB-1 would probably be the better buy, for features and sound quality. I like mine, and run the tube blend on it around 10 o'clock, nice balance between tube and solid state. And all the extra features are just gravy on it.

azrider said:
i record rap music on the mbox 2 and want to buy a mic pre to help my vocals out, i have a studio project b3 mic, i was wondering which mic pre would be best for rap vocals.
Studio Projects VTB-1 Tube Blend Mic Preamp-
M-Audio Audio Buddy-
ART Tube MP Project Series Tube Microphone/Instrument Preamp

The dude is looking at preamps less than a hundred NEW, probably very new to recording, and people are recommending preamps that cost 700 plus :confused:

I would get either the VTB1 or the ART...if they are close to the same price, get the VTB1. If one is alot cheaper, get that. Once you get a decent set of monitors, and have been recording for a while, then blowing all your cash on a 1k preamp might make sense...but dont feel like you need one now....

teainthesahara said:
The dude is looking at preamps less than a hundred NEW, probably very new to recording, and people are recommending preamps that cost 700 plus :confused:

I would get either the VTB1 or the ART...if they are close to the same price, get the VTB1. If one is alot cheaper, get that. Once you get a decent set of monitors, and have been recording for a while, then blowing all your cash on a 1k preamp might make sense...but dont feel like you need one now....

I'll throw in my usual plug for the Peavey PV8 mixer. Four channels of very low noise, low distortion preamplification for $110. At the $100 price point, it's a great choice, IMHO.

teainthesahara said:

That caught my attention also......give the guy a break. At least tell him to get a $1000 dollar mic if you are going to steer him to a $1000 dollar pre.

On all the forums I surf, the VTB gets the most recommends. And it's a good bet that SP makes that preamp with their own mics in mind, so it's probably a good fit for you mic.

...truth is, alot of great rap vocals have been recorded on dynamic mics, and of the 3 pres listed, the Studio Projects has the neccessary gain (over 70dB) to drive a good dynamic (like the SM7 or RE20)...plus you've got the tube drive feature, which on the right voice would be useable...the SP gets my vote...

Good point! Dont waste that sort of money on rap anyway. :eek:

teainthesahara said:

If you can spend $300, definately check out the Art Pro channel. Musician's Friend. It has a VU meter, Pre, comp, and, my fav, a 4 band eq. I think it's a great mic channel, as a "first pre". It will prepare you for your Avalon 737! :D

Back