Mic popping and clicks

mmonline

I am recording using Samplitude SE (Music Studio 14).

No complaints - I am just beginning to understand - well use extra features in the MIDI editor (like sustain, volume, and a myriad of other effects). I am considering taking a look at Reaper.

The only problem I am having is that occasionally when recording acoustic guitar or vocals I get an occassional pop or click. I am not clipping - it happens regardless of gain, input level, etc.

I read elsewhere about problems with PC processor - and will be testing to see if ensuring all unused programs are shut-down and PC processes are stopped while recording.

I am recording on my laptop:
Toshiba Satellite P30, 2gb RAM
M-Audio Firewire SOLO
MXL Condensor Mics (both large diaphram and guitar mic)

Are additional processes a likely/common culprit and what else should I look for?

I had done some very rough recording - putting ideas down - using my USB headset from time to time and noticed it there too - which makes me think PC processing could be the issue.

Thanks.

Check cables.....

:cool::cool:Yo MMonline:

Just click down a few notches and read the GH's post.

As I mentioned, as I checked over a slight "buzz" of off/on, I found the cable was faulty After a time, any time of course, a cable can just die. If you happen to use "molded" cables, those can come to an END sooner.

But, I've run all kinds of cables for years, THEN, all of a sudden, cables begin to deteriorate. I tossed 5 cables in the past week or so and most of them had lived long enough.

I have found that the "thin and molded" cables usually go bad faster or happen to step on a cable one week and a while later the cable is POOF.

So, I guess it would help to check cables especially if somthing begins to buzz/click/pop/or hiss.

Green Hornet

Back