Mic placement

Wannaplay

I now have an SM57, MXL603s, MXL67V and a Ross dynamic for mics. Any recommendations for a starting point for set-up of these for recording acoustic guitar and mandolin and vocals would be appreciated. That is, distance from instuments, placement, etc. I will be using a DMP3 preamp running into an Echo Mia soundcard. Thanks for any advice!

Use the MXLs for the guitar and the mandolin and the two dynamics for vocals?

Oh, you only have two channels. That does make things easier. Okay, for the guitar start with the MXL603S about 5 to 12 inches away from the soundhole pointing towards the 12th fret. As for the mandolin, try the same thing but with the V67. I don't have a lot (read: none) of experience with mandolins, but they seem like pretty quiet instruments so you might want to get closer. Then you can record the vocals separately with the V67 or the SM57, or that Ross mic :-)confused: )

You do have only one DMP3 right?

Hey Michael, thanks for the links.... I've seen the first one before, but not the other two.... way cool, thank again. :)

Thanks for the links and info. guys.

Mark, yes I only have one DMP3 at this time. Also the Echo Mia card only has 2 inputs.

Think I'll try the MXL603 at the 12th fret and either the SM57 or the 67V at the bridge.

Back