Mic Placement to Eliminate Boom?

Inspired

I'm micing a Mesa/Boogie Mark IV combo amp, off-center, with a couple of inches between the mic and the grill of the amp. High strings sound fine, but when lower strings are played, it tends to get boomy-sounding. Is the mic too close? What's an ideal mic placement to eliminate this boominess? I keep the amp pretty quiet for recording, as I'm in an apartment...

Being too close shouldn't be a problem. I've miced with the capsule of the mic litterally touching the grill. Try cutting some low EQ out of your amp sound. Try moving the mic around. Try switching in a new mic. Try bringing up some midrange on your amp eq. Try turning the amp up. Try turning the amp down. Try moving the mic back further anyway.

Remember, you're not trying to get the guitar to sound good to your ears, you're trying to get the sound that the mic picks up to sound good in a mix. Don't be afraid to make adjustments that make the guitar sound worse in the room. If the recording sounds better in the mix, the adjustment was correct.

well I don't know if it's distorted or not, but assuming it's not. I'd say just turn the lows on your amp practically all the way down. and turn the mids practically all the way up. it depends on your amp and set up, but I like to keep the lows mostly down so there is room for a bass in my recordings. highs I tend to alter the most depending on how harsh I want it to sound. I also recommend using a light pick if you're trying to get rid of boominess - the light pick on the guitar will make your sound level more consistent than your fingers or a harder pick (unless you're a master at the guitar). I also recommend making sure your guitar is set on treble and that the tone knob on the guitar is set to treble (for your specific problem experiment with that, I don't suggest ALWAYS doing this). these are just some basic ideas.

oh and make sure your amp is off the ground, preferably in a wooden chair/stool. people always mess this up. if you are recording distortion - turn the gain way down, way way down, trust me, and then double track/pan if need be. you might also try lighter strings, I know I use the heaviest guage strings I can find - that's just me. just some ideas to making your sound source sound better.

I second just turning down the lows on the amp. Your mesa probably has a ton of low end and not enough mids.

grn said:
oh and make sure your amp is off the ground, preferably in a wooden chair/stool. people always mess this up.

Last night I experimented with putting my amp in the walk-in closet which is right next to where I record. I also pulled the mic (SM-57) a little ways back from the grill, and this seems to be working. A lot less boomy.

I hadn't thought about getting my amp off of the floor. I do have an amp stand, so I'll see what kind of sound that gives me, too...

well it could be the proximity effect, but unlikely, I put a 57 right up on the grill usually... at the most like 2 inches away. I don't get much boom if I have my amp dialed up properly.

Back