Mic Placement for LDC Overheads?

wishtheend

I've read alot on mic placement for overheads, but almost everything is using SDC (especially x/y). Does anyone have any tips for using a pair of LDC for overheads? And how would I set them up for x/y?

Also, if anyone has any pics that show LDC being used as overheads, please post. I learn best from actually seeing.

Placement would be the same. An x/y setup would look like a scissors, with the axle at the diaphram. Start with the mics next to each other,with one pointed straight ahead, and one straight back. Scissor them, until both capsules point the same way, at whatever angle works for you, around 45 degrees or so. Turn the whole thing sideways, and it's aimed like you would normally do with SDC's The mic bodies would be in the way of each other's pattern, so I don't know how well it would work.

Look up "Glynn Johns micing," it generally uses LDC's.

Last edited:
when using ldcs as overheads ive primarily used 1. 1 ldc, one kick, one snare and a color (ribbon if i can )in front. the ldc takes some moving as no one spot sounds good, all drummer play differant.

Back