Mic placement/choices (help needed ASAP)

o-ron

I have just come across a couple new recording gigs coming up *this coming weekend* and the purchasing of new mics is suddenly very much in my face, so to speak.

The 2 gigs are:

1. Piano quartet:
-1 grand piano (grochensteinvig 7')
-2 violins
-1 cello*
-1clarinet *
(*these two interchange depending on the piece)
It will be a *live* performance in a church with the "stage" being quite small so they will be grouped together in the "nook" of the piano and close together when they perform. They will also be quite close to the audience (with the front row/pew only being a few feet away)

2. Vocal duet with piano accompaniament
-1 grand piano (same as above)
-2 vocals
This recording will *not* be live, but will need to be mic'ed simultaneously and will be in the same church (but no audience, obviously)

I will currently have 2 AKG C1000's (ok) at my disposal, as well as a couple so-so PZM mics (they definitely would *not* do this piano justice).

On my purchase list I currently have 2 Marshall MXL-2003's (cardoid, $150ea), and 2 Behringer ECM8000's (omni, $40 each). However, if I can get by with just one of those pairs (in other words, not have to buy both sets, as that's a lot of money all of a sudden) that would be best.

So, in other words, given all these circumstances and my current mics, should I get the Marshalls or the Behringers?

And what would my best mic setup(s) then be?

Thanks!!

Gig A: The AKG's might work nicely if place them in an XY somewhere in front of the group. You could also set the Behringers up from a distance . . . from the far left and right side of the group, to pick up a little more of the embience, as I'm assuming most churches tend to have gorgeous natural verb.

From there you could mix the XY AKG's with the Behringers to taste, and see what sounds the best.

Gig B: Have each of the soloists sing directly in to the v2003s, with the c1000s in a stereo pair over the Grand Piano. Mix to taste.

If you have to go with either the Marshalls or the Behringers, I would say get the Marshalls, and go with just the XY of the AKG's for Gig A.

Back