Mic Or Interface

h i p h o p

If i spend$600....should i get a sick mic, or a sick interface, to make quality better.....WHAT WOULD MAKE MORE OF AN IMPACT ON MY QUALITY

oooh, good question. Im just learning the basics so i dont know. I would think preamp is more important so interface but you could always spend 300 on mic and 300 on interface. where are you going to be recording

What's your current setup. Usually this question depends on the situation.

Personally, when I upgrade, I upgrade my weakest link. Tell us what you have, then we can tell you what your weakest link is.

Jacob

well...I have a mobile pre interface....and a AT3035 mic...i have a set up in my basement in a small room where i have it soundproof...the quality is good...but i want to try to get it as best as i possibly can. I'm thinking im gonna either sell my mic and get a better one...or sell my interface, and gettin a better one...im assuming those would make the biggest difference in quality, so i wanted to know which on of those should i upgrade that would make a bigger impact with quality...THANKS!

You didn't mention your monitoring situation, so I'd wonder if that's where you need to upgrade, and I'd upgrade the interface/pre situation as long as you've got >500 monitors...

As for what interface/pre that's a complicated situation. Do you want an all in one pre and interface? A seperate interface with a seperate pre? How many channels? Do you want it to be very customizable or simply straightforward?

If I had 600 to get a pre and interface, I'd look at getting a Delta 1010 and a pair of M-Audio DMP3's. Used if you can find them...the 1010 you can get used for 300ish and a DMP3 can be found for 120ish each. Next I'd also get some custom cabling done, some quad-star mic cables and TRS Cables. If you're smart, you can make them yourself or get someone like me to make em for you. 300 plus 120x2 plus 60 worth of cables totals 600...Then when you get some more cash start to add mics to your collection...try not to get rid of what you have, it's a relatively good mic and it will only benefit you to hang on to it!

Keep in mind that this is only my humble opion based on what I would do with what you've got to work with in equipment and budget.

Jacob

jkokura said:
You didn't mention your monitoring situation, so I'd wonder if that's where you need to upgrade, and I'd upgrade the interface/pre situation as long as you've got >500 monitors...

As for what interface/pre that's a complicated situation. Do you want an all in one pre and interface? A seperate interface with a seperate pre? How many channels? Do you want it to be very customizable or simply straightforward?

If I had 600 to get a pre and interface, I'd look at getting a Delta 1010 and a pair of M-Audio DMP3's. Used if you can find them...the 1010 you can get used for 300ish and a DMP3 can be found for 120ish each. Next I'd also get some custom cabling done, some quad-star mic cables and TRS Cables. If you're smart, you can make them yourself or get someone like me to make em for you. 300 plus 120x2 plus 60 worth of cables totals 600...Then when you get some more cash start to add mics to your collection...try not to get rid of what you have, it's a relatively good mic and it will only benefit you to hang on to it!

Keep in mind that this is only my humble opion based on what I would do with what you've got to work with in equipment and budget.

Jacob

Thanks man, i really appreciate it. I think im gonna go with the delta 1010. I heard it was pretty good. Thanks for the information!

h i p h o p said:
Thanks man, i really appreciate it. I think im gonna go with the delta 1010. I heard it was pretty good. Thanks for the information!

You're very welcome. I've always been a big fan of bang for buck...The 1010 is a great homerecording tool that's a great example of a bang for buck product. Hope you're happy with it and any pre/mic you get.

Jacob

If you're doing hip hop, why do you need a 1010? How many sources will you be recording simulataneously? I would'nt waste your money on inputs/outputs that you don't need when that money could go towards something else like a decent preamp.

jkokura said:
You're very welcome. I've always been a big fan of bang for buck...The 1010 is a great homerecording tool that's a great example of a bang for buck product. Hope you're happy with it and any pre/mic you get.

Jacob

The 1010 is terrible bang for the buck. It's an insanely bad choice unless you can buy it used for $150 or so.

It's converters from way back in 1999 (7 year-old technology), has no preamps at all, and costs $400 by itself unless you're buying it used. That's only $100 short of a FirePod, which gets you eight good preamps, converter technology from 2004, and won't have to be tossed out when you decide you want to be able to record with a laptop or when your computer manufacturer gets around to dropping support for legacy parallel PCI.

(Insert standard PCI is dead rant here.)

The PCI SIG expects parallel PCI to be basically gone in 3-5 years. Don't get stuck with the last decade's legacy gear.

Back