Mic on JCM900

musical5

Just looking for opinions on what you would grab 1st. I have this band in using a JCM900 and a 4 12 cab. I dont like the sound of this amp combo at all. The kid uses a Tele into this and it sounds very "woofy" (is that a word?) I have the following mics... and run into a Phoenix Audio DRS pre.

Peluso SD pr
Cad M9
Oktava MK219
SM81
D112
SP C1
EV Re-16
Sennheiser MD21 (doesnt like super loud sources)

So far its just been the Mk219 1 foot back, and Im not doing back flips. So what would you try?

Thx

ev should work great, the caveat here is -> If it sounds like crap before you mic it, what chance do you have after? However, if that is the way he defines "his sound", record it and give it back to him.

Big Kenny said:
ev should work great, the caveat here is -> If it sounds like crap before you mic it, what chance do you have after? However, if that is the way he defines "his sound", record it and give it back to him.

agreed about everything although the 57 is worth a crack

musical5 said:
I dont like the sound of this amp combo at all. The kid uses a Tele into this and it sounds very "woofy" (is that a word?)

Yea, woofy is a fine word.

And I'm afraid it doesn't much matter what you stick in front of it. It is what it is, and as long as the amp sounds woofy, the mic isn't going to perform any miracles. Your only choices are varying shades of woofy, so as long as the band is jonesing for that sound, get used to the woof. :D

chessrock said:
Yea, woofy is a fine word.

And I'm afraid it doesn't much matter what you stick in front of it. It is what it is, and as long as the amp sounds woofy, the mic isn't going to perform any miracles. Your only choices are varying shades of woofy, so as long as the band is jonesing for that sound, get used to the woof. :D

Crap in...crap out!

Woofy crap!~

i 2nd the EV, and record a small section of him playing. Take him in there and show him, say "look this is what I don't like about this sound and everything is zero'ed out"
then ask him "is this how you want it, because once we record it were stuck with it".

Once you have confirmation, record and deal with it. You could always go in there and change the amp settings yourself.

A lot of recording a good amp tone is mere perception. For instance, the settings he uses live, which may sound great for him, aren't going to work out in the studio. Unless he's playing arenas, they're not generally going to mic his 4x12. So, putting a mic right in front of the speaker is going to emphasize any woofiness. He probably just needs to back off on some gain and bass to get "his" sound to transfer into the studio.

-MD

Great thoughts guys! I agree garbage in garbage out. Do any of you use a dynamic further back from the cab?. Im not a fan of close in positioning.

I've found more mid, less low, and less gain can help on electric guitar. That being said I had a friend who used one of those and I wasn't crazy about it.

yeah wether he likes it or not make him eq it, unless ofcourse he is paying you alot of money and likes the sound, the customer is always right ;)

My band is a "sludgey" band and our other guitarist has a JCM 900 and i through a 57 right up next to the side of the cone and it sounds amazing, but then again then again, your guy has a tele and our other guitar player has a PRS mcCartey

The Senn 421 always solves my distorted guitar needs. I could have the amp loud enough to rattle stuff off walls and get good recordings using a lespaul with the neck pickup only sludgy muddy madness.

By "woofey", do you mean it's a bit bottom heavy? If so, that's fairly unusual for a JCM 900. Is it a superlead, or the reverb version? The superleads are definately the better sounding of the two versions... if its the reverb version, you're pretty much stuck with the sound. Anyway, if it sounds too bottom-heavy, move it away from the wall/corner it's in (just guessing about your placement). If that doesn't help, put the 4x12 cab on sometning to get it off the floor. If that doesn't help, tell the guitarist to turn down the preamp and crank up the power amp section. If that doesn't help, ask him what type of tubes he's running in the amp, and how old they are. The 5881 and 6551 versions are generally a bit cleaner and more bottom-heavy that the EL34 versions... he could have re-tubed the amp recently without checking the bias too, which could really alter the tone. Personally, I'd be reaching for the MD-421 for that amp... that mic can handle extreme SPLs without any problems (unless it's damaged), and yields a smooth top end with a smashing bottom. Tele's tend to be bright-sounding too, so if you're description of "woofey" means bass-heavy without much mids or top end, I'd be looking at some of the suggestions I made earlier about cab placement. Also, stand next to the guy and ask him to riff away, so you can hear what he's hearing. If it sounds like shit where he's standing, and he's digging his tone, so be it... record the project, take their money, and move on. ;)

try the 81 on a cab...they sound pretty rad there...and they can help better accentuate a dark amp.

Mike

Back