Mic Newb

qwiktune

Hey fellas, I have a quick question. I have a small home recording studio right now its just for recording vocals. I do play the guitar but for the most part I'd like it for hip hop type vocals. The first mic I owned, and still have, is a Sennheiser e815S dynamic. Lately I've been using a buddy of mines MXL R-144 ribbon mic. I think its a little better, but he's coming to take it back so I'm looking to pick up either another one or something new. I like mentioned its for hiphop type vocals and I'm pretty novice so I figure I'd wana spend between $100-$150 or so on a new one. I hear Ribbon mics like this MXL give a more warm sound and play a little more nice with filters and sound adjustments than condensers. I was always under the impression condenser mics were better though but give a more harsh sound (though I've never had experience). I was just wondering if I could get some suggestions from those of you with a little more knowledge that might be able to point me in the right direction. The Technica AT2020 was also on the radar but I dont want a USB type mic.

Oh, my interface is a Tascam US-800

Post a clip of some of your work and that will help a lot of us to recommend the type of character match between your voice and a microphone.

You can find some of my early stuff HERE. I'm still in the process of "finding my voice" to be honest so I hope its enough to recommend something to help me find it. Most of all of that was done with the MXL and with levels adjusted, some with Reverb and Chorus filters but nothing to over the top.

........Comments, Pointers, Tips, Constructive Criticisms are welcome

Last edited:
Cool thanks. Is that link ok for this thread in order to help hunt for answers concerning mic suggestions, or do I need to attach as MP3 here also?

You can find some of my early stuff HERE. I'm still in the process of "finding my voice" to be honest so I hope its enough to recommend something to help me find it. Most of all of that was done with the MXL and with levels adjusted, some with Reverb and Chorus filters but nothing to over the top.

........Comments, Pointers, Tips, Constructive Criticisms are welcome

That's some good material you got there, qwik!

You know I would go for a microphone that would pronouns the girth of your voice.

Just for a giggle I would try a recording using a Shure Sm58 to see how that would gel for you within a mix of those songs that you have on reverbnation.
Just thinking that maybe you would be better off with a dynamic microphone like the 58 and then would migrate on to a Shure Sm7b.

Thanks man. I will post in that other sub forum later to get more comments. Yea I just want something that will make my voice more clear like I hear in others mixes. I'm not sure how much that has to do with the mic opposed to the mixing, but I feel like the sound is to warm and blended. Theres also my ear being a lot more Critical since its my voice but I do feel I would benefit from a better mic. I was hoping to stay around $150 (i see the Sm7b is around $250) but I will do some research on it and consider. Also in my research I did notice most people recommend going with a Dynamic mic for Hip-Hop. A condenser i've seen used when looking over others home recording studios, but I'm afraid that going that route might result in a more harsh sound as sometimes I feel my voice can get nasally and heavy on the mid range.

Oops, I overlooked you mentioned Shure 58 first, i'll give that one a try since it seems like a logical next step before the Sm7b

So I'm a little stuck between the Shure SM58 and the AKG D5. Shure is a little more muddy with the AKG better on the highs and hotter sounding.....I'm not sure which will be better for my application though. An input?

Perhaps the AKG D5 or Rode NT1A?

Given you rap with clarity, maybe look at the AT2035? I just picked one up and really like the "honesty" of it (for lack of a better term). Our styles are different (blues/pop) but your range seems similar to mine.

Btw, love that old TV series sample on Forever Hip-Hop! What show was that?

Given you rap with clarity, maybe look at the AT2035? I just picked one up and really like the "honesty" of it (for lack of a better term). Our styles are different (blues/pop) but your range seems similar to mine.
Btw, love that old TV series sample on Forever Hip-Hop! What show was that?

Yeah, I might def look into that one. Seems like its in my price range....let me tell you what happened on Friday when I went into the music store. First I went there thinking I was either going to leave with the Shure SM58 or AKG D5. Because of the muddy sound of the sm58 I was thinking the D5. Well the guy I talked to at teh store told me I should try the sennheiser, i forget the model, but it was the common one people talk about in the SM58 conversation. Anyway I then started thinking, maybe i'll just try a condenser mic since I cant decide which dynamic to go with. Well from research I decided perhaps the Rode NT1a, however they didnt have any in stock at the time and its like $250 which was a little more than I wanted to spend right now. Then I checked the used mic case and came across a MXL V63M. It was still wrapped up kinda like someone opened the box and didnt use it but it was marked used at $50. Well I took it home since I have 60 days to try it out and can still return it (the plan was to go back and order the Rode NT1a if i didnt like it).

I've recorded two songs with it already and I gotta say it is a HUGE improvement over the old ribbon MXL mic i was using. Like night and day, so much more clear and clean. I dont even have to mess with the EQ as much at all. Because its my first condensor and have no other experience, i obviously LOVE it and may keep it since it was such a bargain. I may try out that AT2035 though man. Def looks to be in my price range and perhaps a little better than this V63M. I may just buy it to try it and still keep this V63M though.

Back