Mic Mods?

Jawombkamagubi

Anyone know anything about John Bonnell? I'm considering having him modify an MXL 990 for me and want to know if he's got a good rep-thanx!

I'd send him a message requesting info on what he actually does to that particular mic. $100 is a bit steep if all he's doing is swapping out a few caps. If you aren't happy with your 990, you're probably better off selling it and putting the proceeds +$100 towards something like an Audio Technica AT2035. You could also spend $20 on an eBay mod kit and a Radio Shack soldering iron and attempt modding it yourself. Don't expect a profound improvement, though. I performed the "Gus Mod" on a pair of MXL 603S mics (same circuit and capsule as the 990) and they do sound better to my ears. Here's a link to some instructions. Gus' MXL 603s mod - Pictures/Part numbers -thanks Flatpicker

I don't know how good that guy is, but Michael Joly at Award-winning microphone engineering from Michael Joly has a really good mod for the 990.

its $300 replaces the diaphragm with a k47 like diaphragm, modded electronics, and basket. sounds very much like a u87, nice.

been thinking of getting one he has already modded. since he did a great job with the one I have.

the KM84 variant I've head good things and bad. On some applications, the pattern is a little bit tighter (more hyper-cardiod) when compared to the KM84, but sound more like the original than the KM184. I am planning to buy these eventually. But I have a set of KM84's at my disposal, so it is not my top priority.

Anyone know anything about John Bonnell? I'm considering having him modify an MXL 990 for me and want to know if he's got a good rep-thanx!

How much are you into DIY? The 990 has the same circuit as a million other Chinese mics. I modded a 2006 (same circuit) with an OEM C12'sh capsule and directly connecting the capsule to the FET. I didn't do any other upgrades, but if you scour some of my posts here, I am pretty sure I posted a 990 specific mod.

I don't know how good that guy is, but Michael Joly at Award-winning microphone engineering from Michael Joly has a really good mod for the 990.

its $300 replaces the diaphragm with a k47 like diaphragm, modded electronics, and basket. sounds very much like a u87, nice.

Michael Joly is a magician and I'd also recommend this route if it's in your budget. He modded my Oktava MK319 and I absolutely love it.

...all of these recommendations aside, why are you looking into mod your mic in the first place? I ask because depending on your recording environment and the rest of your equipment, the mic may not need to be one of your top concerns.

Back