Mic Locker Question

guinsu

I've been doing more recording with my indie band and getting very nice results, but I just was wondering if there was anything big missing from my mic locker. I just wanted to get the opinion of the forumites here. This is what I have and use a lot:

AKG 414 XL-II (vocals, acoustic, bass)
AKG D-112 (kick, bass)
Senn MD-421 (toms, snare, guitar, bass) x4
Senn MD-441 (toms, kick, guitar, whatever) x2
Studio Projects B1 (overheads) x2

Not used as much:
EV Co7 x3 (PA for band and scratch tracks)
EV C09 (se above)
SM-57 x2 - hardly use, just not my thing and the Cobalts sound better for live use
ECM-8000 x2 - hardly use

sdelsolray said:
A nice pair of small diaphragm condensers would expand your locker.

They're very good for overheads and acoustic guitar. The smaller diaphrams react a little faster.

i would think a different vocal color might be good. something along the lines of a Studio projects C1 style, or something warmer. Maybe an AT4050 for a more neutral but open sound.

Small diaphragm condensers could be good, but think the C414 will do everything you need to do with those, and least for now. Unless you want a nother color with your acoustic guitar and drum overheads.

danny

guinsu said:
I've been doing more recording with my indie band and getting very nice results, but I just was wondering if there was anything big missing from my mic locker. I just wanted to get the opinion of the forumites here. This is what I have and use a lot:

AKG 414 XL-II (vocals, acoustic, bass)
AKG D-112 (kick, bass)
Senn MD-421 (toms, snare, guitar, bass) x4
Senn MD-441 (toms, kick, guitar, whatever) x2
Studio Projects B1 (overheads) x2

Not used as much:
EV Co7 x3 (PA for band and scratch tracks)
EV C09 (se above)
SM-57 x2 - hardly use, just not my thing and the Cobalts sound better for live use
ECM-8000 x2 - hardly use
You should be able to record just about anything and everything with your mic locker... however, I'd for sure add a Beyer M201... good for snare, amps, vocals, etc. I'm also a big fan of matched pairs of SDC mics.

The Beyer is the one everyone says is "the" snare mic right? I've actually had that in mind, I just can't seem to find a dealer online. Are there any SDCs people would recommend? I wouldn't mind trying them on overheads and acoustic, though part of me also wants to get another AKG414 and use them for oveheads.

guinsu said:
The Beyer is the one everyone says is "the" snare mic right? I've actually had that in mind, I just can't seem to find a dealer online. Are there any SDCs people would recommend? I wouldn't mind trying them on overheads and acoustic, though part of me also wants to get another AKG414 and use them for oveheads.
Yeah, the Beyer M201 kicks butt as a snare mic... but that's not all. Getting another AKG C414 for O.H.'s and etc is a great idea... I love the C414... as for SDC mics... the Josephson C42's are some of my current favorites. ;)

I'll do some research on the Josephson mics, though the e22 is a bit out of my price range at this point. Maybe once the indie band sells a few cds :) I'll probably seriously look at the Beyer and another 414. I know the 414s have mixed reviews here but so far I really like the mic, it seems to fit with what I want to do, recording wise. I'll have to try one as an overhead with a B1 and see how it sounds before I consider a 2nd.

guinsu said:
I'll do some research on the Josephson mics, though the e22 is a bit out of my price range at this point. Maybe once the indie band sells a few cds :) I'll probably seriously look at the Beyer and another 414. I know the 414s have mixed reviews here but so far I really like the mic, it seems to fit with what I want to do, recording wise. I'll have to try one as an overhead with a B1 and see how it sounds before I consider a 2nd.
I can tell by your mic collection we have similar taste. Don't let anyone bs you... the 414's rock as O.H.'s and etc. IMO, the C414/B1 combo won't hold a candle to a pair of C414's... but what the heck, if you've already got em.. give it a try. Anyway... seriously, I'd add a Beyer M201 to your mic collection. ;) :)

Last edited:
DJL said:
I can tell by your mic collection we have similar taste. Don't let anyone bs you... the 414's rock as O.H.'s and etc. IMO, the C414/B1 combo won't hold a candle to a pair of C414's... but what the heck, if you've already got em.. give it a try. Anyway, seriously... I'd add a Beyer M201 to your mic collection. ;) :)

Wll it was more to compare the 414 to a B1, that way I can justify another $800 purchase by saying it definitely beat my old overheads.

guinsu said:
Wll it was more to compare the 414 to a B1, that way I can justify another $800 purchase by saying it definitely beat my old overheads.
Oh ok... compare away... lol. :D :cool: :)

Anyway, I hope the above helps... have fun. Don :)

Back