Mic Line-Up

PederJ

Hello everyone. I'm going to be recording a 4-piece band (vocal, guitar, bass, drum) and i was wondering if this is a good mic line-up:

Vocal - Unsure (suggestions welcome)

Guitar - SM57 to mic cabinet

Bass - SM57 to mic cabinet

Kick Drum - AKG D112
Snare - SM57
Overhead 1 - Rode NT3 or AKG C1000S(which one?)
Overhead 2 - Rode NT3 or AKG C1000S(which one?)
Tom 1 - Sennheiser MD421
Tom 2 - Sennheiser MD421
Tom 3 - Sennheiser MD421
Hi-Hat - SM81

please comment or suggest substitutions

thanx
Peder

I suggest you DI the bass and use the spare SM57 as a bottom mic for the snare. What are your options for vocals?

Get Oktava MC012s for the overheads. I got really good reccomendations from people here on this board and trust me they give you the sizzle your looking for.

If you cant get them then I would get the NT3s. I tried these out and they were pretty good. I think these both cost about the same.

on the bass.. going direct is ok but I have had really good results miking the cab with a akg d112 and a sm57 and then later mixing the two signals.

This is especially great for an overdriven sound

there are lots of good vocal mics under $1000. Look at the AT 4050 and it's single patterned little brothers the AT 4047. (for just vox the 4047 is a better deal at $499) and the 4033.

A 57 on the bass I find a little too midrangy for most things, sometimes it's perfect though. I like a Shure Beta 52 on bass cabs (similar to a D112 but a little more punchy) I also like my NT-1 on bass cabs, a few feet away in a nice room, not very viable recording live though, unless you isolate the amp. I always combine mic and a direct signal for bass.

My advise would be to spend a little less on the tom mics and a little more on the overheads. 57's work well on toms, or the Beta 56, or for more low end a AT Pro 25. Maybe get a pair of 4033's for overheads, and you've got good vocal mics right there.

-jhe

Drum Mics

I've just bought a VS 1680 & want to mic up the drum kit. The Drums are Yamaha Pro Recorder Bass, snare, 1 rack tom 1 floor tom + cymbals. I would like to record the Drums, Bass & guitar at the same time to keep the feel. I have 2 Apex 420 condensor mics and am been pointed toward a senhieser 602 for kick & a senheiser 604 for snare. I would like to keep the drums to 4 tracks as I can only record 8 at a time. Would kick, snare and 2 overhead condensors give a good recording, and is anyone familiar with the mics I've mentioned?
Any suggestions for guitar mics? I use a Strat with a Blues Hot rod deluxe fairly clean sound. 57 or on of my condensors?
Thanks Hugh

Back