Mic isolation. Mini-gobo...on a boom???

SOUND DIAGNOSIS

I have this problem almost licked, except for one "fly in the ointment". I have succeeded in having the ablilty to record a vocal track into my DAW via a LD condenser and a JOEMEEK VC3Q, and simultaneously record direct to DAW with my Kurzweil synth/workstation. The only problem I can "hear" in the resultant product is low amplitude, low frequency noise emanating from the keybed of the synth itself which of course, gets picked up by that sensitive "vacuum cleaner" of a mic. Any thoughts as to how I could perhaps isolate the mic in some sort of mini-gobo type on-the-boom deal? Or is there a better way other than tracking vocals separately, which defeats the purpose of this setup? Appreciate any thoughts or ideas. All the best, Lee.

TexRoadkill said:
Can you actually hear the noise when everything is up in the mix?

Actually no...if there is enough instrumentation and amplitude, however, when I am "playing" guitar parts....or soft parts.....you can hear the thumping with the accompanying vocal....that is if you have a discriminating ear. I think if I lower the mic volume a few db, it may tame those thumps. You do understand that the thump does indeed correspond simultaneously with notes sounding off, so the thumping is masked....if not obliterated with louder passages. Interesting situation here, although I bet it is as old as the hills in some audio circles. There HAS to be a physical, appropriate workaround for a case like this. Thanks for chiming in, Tex!! ---Lee

three solutions come to mind...

use a different mic: less sensitive, tighter pattern or whatnot.

or as you said, try to throw some sort of sound absorbing material between your keyboard and your mic. this sounds like it might make playing the keyboard a bit constricting.

or three: live with the little thuds.

eeldip said:
three solutions come to mind...

use a different mic: less sensitive, tighter pattern or whatnot.

or as you said, try to throw some sort of sound absorbing material between your keyboard and your mic. this sounds like it might make playing the keyboard a bit constricting.

or three: live with the little thuds.

Well, another mic is not an option...and I dig this Marshall V 67 anyway. Reducing sensitivity a few DB made a huge difference and the thumping is NOT heard on soft passages. Wallah! Thanks Eeldip. ----Lee

P.S. Is eeldip a food?

tubesrawsom said:
if you recorded the vocals and keyboard obviously to seperate trax why not do the vocals over agen

Simple. There is a spontaneous partnership/interplay I occasionally notice in being able to lay down both tracks at the same time that may not happen in a typical separate vocal track situation. ---Lee

I saw in last month's recording mag that auralex came out with accoustical foam that does exactly what you're looking for. They're pretty cheap and the reviewer really liked them.

Nik D said:
I saw in last month's recording mag that auralex came out with accoustical foam that does exactly what you're looking for. They're pretty cheap and the reviewer really liked them.

Going to take a trip to Auralex-town in a bit. Thanks!!!! ---Lee

Back