mic input sound card line noise problem

Jamminjimmy

My mic input going into my sound card makes a terrible line noise. I am trying to use my new recording studio software and my audio just has this disturbing noise. my midi is crystle clear. I have tried a number of things to stop it, like using a preamp,direct line, attenuating cable, volume controls, stereo and mono inputs! At this point i just cant think of anything else to try. Any suggestions?

thanks,
Jamminjimmy

You can do one of two things:

Get a sound card where the I/O has a breakout box. (Gina/Darla 24)
or...
Get an external A/D converter and a sound card with digital I/O.

jimmy,

You might already know this....but in your post you mentioned "mic input". Never use the mic input port on your soundcard. Always run some sort of preamp into the line in port. Also, make sure that you MUTE all the other recording sources like Microphone and CD Audio (that's in your RECORDING properties, not playback).

If it's still horribly noisy then take Fishmed's advice (or buy a different "cheap" soundcard...I've read that the Sound Blaster PCI128 with the Ensonique chipset works pretty well and is around $30)

Slackmaster 2000

Um, the mic input on a sound card wouldn't require a preamp or anything. It is designed for a consumer level mic, for typical user to play around with the sound recorder or whatever. It has about the worst quality amplification you can possible get on a sound card, and therefore is pretty much useless for recording. (If I sound condescending, forgive me, it's unintentional: I've made the same mistake, so I'd be a hypocrite to say otherwise :) )

Good luck with your recordings!

William Underwood

Back