mic info

James Thorsen

I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction concerning a (recording) microphone that works well with reel to reel analog recorders. The trouble is, I don't have a huge budget, so I would want a relatively good mic that could pick up maybe a couple different instruments at once (like if I were to record a regular rock band or whatever). I guess it would need to be able to pick up all the sound it could in the clearest manner. I've seen people record shows and stuff with one really big, nice mic...or am I confused? Any help would be mored than appreciated. Thanks.

That one big microphone might have been a stereo mic. There are many stereo mic techniques which you can find under 'microphone university' at the DPA website, www.dpamicrophones.com

Have you read the FAQ post on top of this page?

There are quite a number of inexpensive mics that will do the job for you.

Hope this helps.

Are you specifically wanting to record what used to be called "bootleg" recordings?

Like flying a pair of mics in the crowd or in front of the soundboard?

I'd suggest a MATCHED pair of Octava MC-012's.

Keep in mind if you go consensor you'll need a preamp with phantom power.

In any event you'll need some kind of preamp to really get a good solid signal to tape.

I generally concur with what C7 is saying, Exactly what you are wanting to do is a little unclear, as well as why you are wanting to do it using a reel-to-reel unit (rather big and uncommon). Maybe if you gave some more background as to your goal we could give you some more information.

Basically, my objective is to record rock bands and, perhaps, other styles of music with only one or two (or maybe even three) microphones for whatever project it was I needed to do. I recorded in a studio recently and the engineer was changing so many different microphones after every song, I was almost intimidated to start microphoning equipment on my own...I guess it would boil down to being able to get relatively few mics at a price range of about 700 dollars to achieve the same effect as having many more mics to get quality sound. Recordingwise, I want to start documenting music. So anything that could help for that general goal would be more than appreciated.

As long as your technique is sound, two mics will always be more versitile than one stereo mic.
I'm not sure what Han was driving at, buy if you are planning on field recording (and it sounds like you are), mics that can run on batteries, like the C1000s, are a GOOD thing. Yes they will also run on phantom power in the studio.
They are about $200 each. Sometimes I see a deal where they are $300 for a pair. I do believe they run on 9volts (I've never used the battery feature), and for convenience, I would suggest NMH rechargables- they easily last 3-4x longer than regular batts.
C7 was talking about the Octava MC-012. I have used these mics, too, and I do NOT recommend then . They color the sound greatly and overload easily. They do not run on batts.
The stereo Sony mic Richard was talking about (if its the one I'm thinking of) is pretty popular with people that field record samples. No where near the versitility of two mics, remember.

BTW: Stay w/ 2 mics, not 3 for the kinda thing you are describing.

James Thorsen said:
I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction concerning a (recording) microphone that works well with reel to reel analog recorders.

Man, I was gonna' recommend you the perfect mics, but the ones I was thinking of are only good for DAT machines and cassette decks. Oh well.

guido #2 said:
I'm not sure what Han was driving at, buy if you are planning on field recording (and it sounds like you are), mics that can run on batteries, like the C1000s, are a GOOD thing. Yes they will also run on phantom power in the studio.
They are about $200 each. Sometimes I see a deal where they are $300 for a pair. I do believe they run on 9volts (I've never used the battery feature), and for convenience,

The Rode NT3's are in the same price range as the C1000's, run on batteries and phantom as well, but sound much nicer, quite a lot of highs, but better mics. They also have better looks.:D

Michael Jones said:
If you're trying to record a live show, you can go here and ask around:

http://www.oade.com/Tapers_Section/index.html

I used to frequent this place a LONG time ago.

When some of the members started asking about "stealth recording techniques, and actually got replies; I left. :mad:

Nothing wrong with stealth tapers. I saw a Dead show at the Pauley Pavillion in 79 and folks brought in a R-R in a wheelchair!;)

Hell, nowadays you can't even bring a camera into a lot of venues.

Up here they just opened a new hockey arena, with a farm team. they do something just short of a body cavity search at the door, so they can take away bottled water and candy! The concession there charges $4 for a fuckin bottle of water!

Back