mic in or line in?

matt's bedroom

hi,
i've recently ordered a small mixer for my preamp needs, and i'm plugging it into my pc's soundcard.
i was wondering if i would want to connect this to the mic input on my soundcard (where i've existingly connected just a mic), or to the line in. what's the difference? will one work and won't? since the mixer hasn't arrived yet i haven't been able to try it, i'm just looking to save some time when it does arrive.

thanks
-matt

Absolutly. What mixer are you picking up? There's a couple of ways to patch one in to a soundcard.

hi, so i should definitely go through the line in yeah?

track rat: i'm getting one of those compact, Behringer Mx602a's, which i get the impression are primarily designed for use with a soundcard.

could someone tell me the possibilities for patching this into my soundcard?

much appreciated,
-matt

As that model has no channel inserts, you options are rather limited. The most straight ahead way would be mixer mains out to sound card in. Another way would require either channels inserts or direct channel outputs to drive the input of the sound card and returning the output of the computer to two channels of the mixer and the main outs of the mixer driving your monitoring system. I guess you could feed the sound card from either a monitor or effects send from the mixer but personally I don't think that's a great idea.

Track Rat said:
As that model has no channel inserts, you options are rather limited. The most straight ahead way would be mixer mains out to sound card in. Another way would require either channels inserts or direct channel outputs to drive the input of the sound card and returning the output of the computer to two channels of the mixer and the main outs of the mixer driving your monitoring system. I guess you could feed the sound card from either a monitor or effects send from the mixer but personally I don't think that's a great idea.

cheers, i think i will go with the straight ahead mixer mains out to sound card in.
am i right in saying your second suggestion would allow me to use the mixer to equalise whilst monitoring?
hmm, might consider that, though i'll probably stick to the software plug-ins for Eq.

hope i understood you right,
-matt

Yeah, just get a cable to go from your MAIN OUT of the Behringer (they'll be either 1/4" male or RCA L/R male) to 1/8" stereo male of your soundcard.

Back