Mic forum is dead today

brother rat

All mics sound the same.
No new threads today?
I saw a picture of a vintage mike that I can't identify.
Just for fun, can anyone identify this mike?

Mike.jpg

Clever Huckabee joke...but since you brought it up...

The mic forum isn't dead.

I'm into mics today. I'm tracking with a Sennheiser MD421 that (according to the serial number) left the factory in 1969. Now never mind that vintage mojo crap that folks talk about--the bottom line is that I picked up this sucker on eBay (along with TWO OTHER 421's) for 90 bucks. One was dead, two are rocking. It's the best mic I've ever stuck in front of a guitar amp. And I've got one to spare. And a dead one for parts.

What's that you say?

I didn't hear you...I was tracking some guitars. I'll check back later.

I have a butt load of 421's for when I do live sound for a swing big band next week will have 5 sax 4 bones and 5 trumpets in the horn section!

Next time you have to track horns give them a try. ;)

Yep, sure can. I should definitely pop it open and see what's going on (or not going on) in there.

Duno if you've opened one before or not, but be vary careful getting that grille off. It's an acquired skill that costs about the same as a 421 to acquire! :p

Here is a question for everyone. Best Mic for recording vocals home studio (for Joss Stone type voice - lower end female/jazz R&B) from approximately $500 to $1500. Thanks.

Duno if you've opened one before or not, but be vary careful getting that grille off. It's an acquired skill that costs about the same as a 421 to acquire! :p

You don't need to, ussually it's a loose wire right behind the input connector, or maybe in the M/V switch. If the problem is in the grill you've got a dead capsule, forget it about it then.

You don't need to, ussually it's a loose wire right behind the input connector, or maybe in the M/V switch. If the problem is in the grill you've got a dead capsule, forget it about it then.

Not strictly true. You can have a loose wire in there too.

More often than not a loose wire will be at the xlr end, but I think my advice was fair.

If the wire is loose in the headbasket ares next to the capsule you'll only need a bigger hammer to get to it. :D

Or a chainsaw! :p

Imagine, you can brag to fellow musicians: "...yeah, but a MD421 sounds great on chainsaw too, dude!"

(Optionaly change "great" to "awesome" if you're hip.)

Back