Mic for recording upright bass?

Nightbanana

I'm just getting into recording, and I have a couple of questions regarding which mic to buy. I'm using an Aardvark LX6 sound card, and using cubase 32. I want to buy a mic to record mostly upright bass, but also use it to record some vocals, and possibly other instruments. I can't spend a huge amount cash, trying to keep it under $600. What do you recommend? I have a cheap preamp, art tube mp. Should I buy a tube condenser mic? What about one of the Rode tube condensers? Will I have to buy a better preamp, if so what kind? I really want to get that woody bass tone, as I don't dig the DI sound for upright. Any info would be helpful.

Try an ECM8000 ($35) or other omni wrapped in foam and shoved behind the bridge.Also,if your room sounds ok,take a big diaphragm condensor at bridge height about 3 feet out in front of the bass.Blend to suit.MXL V67,C1 and NT1 are all decent $200 or less mics.The MAudioBuddy is two channel solid state mic pre ($80) and adds less "color" than the tube pres in the same price range.
Others will also advise you their tips and gear choices.Try out all the mic placement ideas to see what YOU like best.If possible,post clips of your favs.
Good luck getting the best tone!
Tom

i would try using a akg d112 ($200) shure beta 52($189)
or a audiotechnica pro 25($100)

all of these mic i have used but for the d112 but i heard that
it does good. i have a beta 52 and it does the job.

zeke

Back