Mic for Raspy Baritone Vox

virtualvisions

Euphonix rocks
I'm in the middle of recording a band's album, and the singer has a raspyish baritone voice that is relatively quiet. During the session I didn't think I'd have trouble just using my sE2200a as it has always been good for vocals, however this vocal track is possibly one of the worst sounding ones I have ever heard :eek: :eek:. It sounds really boomy and muddy and almost like the sound was recorded underwater (exagerrating only a little).

Any suggestions to what mic I could use to record such a voice?
Ones I was looking at were CAD M179, ADK Hamburg, MXL V67G, would any of these be good for that purpose?
Thanks,
Virtualvisions

virtualvisions said:
It sounds really boomy and muddy and almost like the sound was recorded underwater (exagerrating only a little).

Sounds like it could be a room problem more than a mic issue. Is the room you're recording in small and untreated? If so, for a cheap solution hang moving blankets, sleeping bags, etc in a corner and build a small 3x3 room out of these blankets and track the singer inside.

If you haven't been using any room treatment you'll hear immediate results, worth the simple effort. Do this before buying another mic if so.

...try a dynamic...give an SM58 a shot...if it sounds better, see if you can get an SM7B to use...will definately smooth out the rasp...but you'll need a pre with at least 60 dB of available gain...

virtualvisions said:
I'm in the middle of recording a band's album, and the singer has a raspyish baritone voice that is relatively quiet. During the session I didn't think I'd have trouble just using my sE2200a as it has always been good for vocals, however this vocal track is possibly one of the worst sounding ones I have ever heard :eek: :eek:. It sounds really boomy and muddy and almost like the sound was recorded underwater (exagerrating only a little). Any suggestions to what mic I could use to record such a voice?
Ones I was looking at were CAD M179, ADK Hamburg, MXL V67G, would any of these be good for that purpose?
Thanks,
Virtualvisions
The SE2200A is a great mic but I can see how a baritone vocalist would sound muddy. Choose a mic that has a little more boost in the hi-end.
Look at the frequency response of the SE2200A then go to the web sites of your mic choices and see if one of those has a response that might add a little more hi-end and perhaps a little less mids/lows. A CAD M9 tube might do just the thing!

It was, in fact, recorded in an untreated room. I'll try to make a 3x3 booth with mattresses and see if that helps, otherwise I think I'll try something with a little more high end boost. Its almost as if the sound is too full and that I need to thin it out a bit. I was also thinking of using a different pre. The one I used is a the board pre of an 80's yamaha board so its pretty warm n' dirty :p ;) . My interface is an Edirol FA-101 which has 2 pres, I think I'll try one of those as well.

Back