Mic for outdoor wedding

giaschel

Hello.
A friend of mine asked if she could borrow a mic to amplify the conversations that will take place during the wedding ceremony so that everyone can hear the priest and the vows and all.

This will be held outside in a huge field, with possibility of some wind. I currently own an SM-57 and a Rode NT1. I've never used any of them outside. One thing I know is that they don't want to hold a mic or pass one around all the time. Is the Rode mic a good thing outside? Do you have any experience with that?

Please keep in mind that this will be to pick-up conversations only from people who will not stand right next to the mic.

Thanks a lot!

You don't want to use the Rode outside. If there's any wind you'll hear more wind than voices.

What you need is an EV 635 with a foam filter. The 57 will do, but use foam.

Thanks.

The problem with the Shure is they won't want to hold the mic up close and switch it every time someone else speaks, which will happen with a unidirectional mic.

The mic will need to pick-up voices from three persons, each about two to three feet away from the mic. The foam will be mandatory indeed.

The EV seems like a good choice. I'll check it out.

Back