Mic for field recording (Movie project)...

James Argo

Fancy Rock N' Roll
Usualy, I'm hired to do movie scoring and background music/FX on post production. Recording on location has not been my field (I don't have proper equipment anyway). But now, due to many reason, the next project urges me to do audio capturing on location. I've tried all my studio mic, and you can guess, none of them work. Out of focus, noise problem, etc...

Does anyone have an idea about what mic should I pick? Combo w/ pre-amp is okay. I'm looking for entry level "Swiss army" mic (below $200 preferable for the mic only) that acts like SM57 on guitar cab. I probably will use it the most for overhead miking (indoor/outdoor).

Thanks!
;)
Jaymz

CNN normally uses the EV 635a for field work.
It's reputed to sound killer on amps per a number of top pro AE's.

Plus it's an excellent vocal mic, although personally I don't like it as much on (deep) baritone and bass singers vs. the higher vocal catagories.

National Public Radio uses the EV RE50 (635a w/windscreen) as "standard".
The 635a was used on many classical recordings during the 60's/70's BTW.

Chris

Thanks Chris! I'm "Google" ing it right away :) It seems to be great mic indeed. But I'm thinking more like shootgun mic to hang overhead. Is it okay?

Yes Brent, it's for capturing dialogue. For example, there will be some case where several actors sitting in the room and I need to capture their dialogue without pickig any ambience noises.

;)
Jaymz

James Argo said:
Thanks Chris! I'm "Google" ing it right away :) It seems to be great mic indeed. But I'm thinking more like shootgun mic to hang overhead. Is it okay?

Yes Brent, it's for capturing dialogue. For example, there will be some case where several actors sitting in the room and I need to capture their dialogue without pickig any ambience noises.

;)
Jaymz

The 635a's are awesome. I have three of them and use them on a lot of jobs. But they won't work for overhead/boom duty. It's not meant for that.

As far as overhead boom mics, you won't get anything under $200 unless you go with a consumer mic like the Azden SGM-1X ($150). I highly suggest you spend a little more and get at least an AT835B which runs about $240, or AT897 ($279).

I've seen Oktava MC012's (w/ hyper caps) used on some shooting rigs and they've worked very well on a very low budget if your only other option is an on camera mic (not sure what cams will be used).

For pre's, I'd go with something like a Sound Devices MM-1, which has one channel and also features headphone monitoring. ($349) If you don't need the monitoring, go with the MP-1 ($299). On a lower budget, check out a Rolls MX124 ($179).

And don't forget to get a Lightwave or Rycote for your mic.

Well if I had to get rid of every mic I own and keep only one, It would have to be my AKG C451eb shotgun mic.

I was going to recommend this one but I see your budget it a little low.

So.....Go to the Audio 2000 web page and look at the ACM191 Supercardioid Shotgun Condenser Mic.

I've installed this mic in several institutions and had nothing but great results.

1. Over-heads for School plays.
2. Podium placement for Schools & Churches
3. City Hall multiple location desk top placement

etc.

It's an all around great mic and retails around $200.00

http://audio2000s.com/products/microphones/condensor/ACM191.htm

C

Thanks James.

There are other people helping now on this thread whose knowledge surpasses mine though (like Brent).

Chris

James Argo said:

;)
Jaymz

Are you booming this? I would go into this expecting the set to be pretty ambient. If you hang a mic, it may be a bit noisy. Can you get your hands on some lavalier mics? Have you considered a boundary? A shotgun can work ok in a good-sized room, but can be problematic in a small reflective room. What are you recording to?

Brent Casey
PMI Audio Group
877-563-6335

Wow, this is how mic forum realy should be! Thanks alot, Gentelmen! I realy appreciate them... :)

Good thing, I talked to the project director, and he realy concerned about it. Although he didn't realy understand, he promised me to raise the budget to be around $300. We'll start capturing on mid October, so I guess we'll go shopping in a couple weeks.

Yes Brent, most likely I'm gonna boom it. Actualy, ambient is okay as long as I can capture it clean. My last attempt gave me too many noises. It could be unproper mic, or my lack of knowledge of doing this :o I realize it's somehow different with studio project. So far, I connected the mic to Mackie 1202, into my laptop (onboard soundcard :( ). Record 16/44.1 stereo with Cool Edit Pro 2. Any advice and guide are welcome! I feel like totaly newbie here... :D Thanks!

;)
Jaymz

Which mics have you used so far?
How many people are you miking?
If you can find some lavalier mics, you may just be able to buttonhole them right on the actors.
If you're going to boom though, I suggest our SP C4's in X-Y with the cardioid heads & hi-pass filters engaged. (sorry DJL, Chessrock) Although, you might want to practice a bit first as this can be tricky. They won't meet your price point, but it will be close.
The Oktava's with the hypercardioid heads might be nice, but the noise level will be higher than the SP's.
The ideal is the Schoeps CMC641S. They are made for the boom, but of course really really expensive.

Brent Casey

James Argo said:
Wow, this is how mic forum realy should be! Thanks alot, Gentelmen! I realy appreciate them... :)

Good thing, I talked to the project director, and he realy concerned about it. Although he didn't realy understand, he promised me to raise the budget to be around $300. We'll start capturing on mid October, so I guess we'll go shopping in a couple weeks.

Yes Brent, most likely I'm gonna boom it. Actualy, ambient is okay as long as I can capture it clean. My last attempt gave me too many noises. It could be unproper mic, or my lack of knowledge of doing this :o I realize it's somehow different with studio project. So far, I connected the mic to Mackie 1202, into my laptop (onboard soundcard :( ). Record 16/44.1 stereo with Cool Edit Pro 2. Any advice and guide are welcome! I feel like totaly newbie here... :D Thanks!

;)
Jaymz

My immediate reaction was also either lavalier or some sort of shotgun. Nearly all boom and camera-mounted work is done with shotguns. You are just too far away to not be picking up tons of other stuff with anything but a shotgun.

I would look into a Shotgun mic also..I haven't done movie recording but ask about "looping" the dialog in post and possibly Folely[sp?} also..Good luck

Thanks! :)

Brent Casey said:
Which mics have you used so far?
I believe everything I used were studio / gig mics. I've tried Shure (SM57, SM58, Beta58), Sennheiser E835, SP B1, couple of Sony (batery powered condenser shootgun, no label...) etc. Somehow, the shootgun impressed me for this purpose :)

Brent Casey said:
How many people are you miking?
1 ~ 10 deppends on the scene.

Brent Casey said:
If you can find some lavalier mics, you may just be able to buttonhole them right on the actors.
If you're going to boom though, I suggest our SP C4's in X-Y with the cardioid heads & hi-pass filters engaged. (sorry DJL, Chessrock) Although, you might want to practice a bit first as this can be tricky. They won't meet your price point, but it will be close.
I was thinking booming, because some scene, several actors will move across the room / street while talking each others. So I need mobile miking. SP C4 is great (although currently I'm limited by budget). Yes, it's a bit tricky, but that's fine with me.

Brent Casey said:
The Oktava's with the hypercardioid heads might be nice, but the noise level will be higher than the SP's.
The ideal is the Schoeps CMC641S. They are made for the boom, but of course really really expensive.
Hehehehe... :D Yeah, CMC641S is nice...

;)
Jaymz

James Argo said:
Usualy, I'm hired to do movie scoring and background music/FX on post production. Recording on location has not been my field (I don't have proper equipment anyway). But now, due to many reason, the next project urges me to do audio capturing on location. I've tried all my studio mic, and you can guess, none of them work. Out of focus, noise problem, etc...

Does anyone have an idea about what mic should I pick? Combo w/ pre-amp is okay. I'm looking for entry level "Swiss army" mic (below $200 preferable for the mic only) that acts like SM57 on guitar cab. I probably will use it the most for overhead miking (indoor/outdoor).

Thanks!
;)
Jaymz
I'd use both a lavalier and shotgun mic.

Back