mic etiquette?

theD1CKENS

*insert clever title here
anyone have some useful advice for recording some one with terrible mic technique? he's a great singer(mostly) but has no idea how to sing in a recording setting.

I thought maybe I could do something about it while mixing, but it just seems more logical to coach him, so as to avoid spending hours fighting with vocals later

If you mean that his dynamics are all over the place...put up a pop filter at a safe distance and tell him to put his nose on it and keep it there, that will keep him physically steady at the mic.
If his level is still all over the place...comp/limiter or edit in the DAW.

mic etiquette and mic technique are not quite the same. Technique is what you are asking about, methinks. Etiquette deals with things like slobbering all over the only available pop guard...:eek:

singing technique is of the utmost importance, but if you need extra help, microphone choice can be useful too.

Something like an re20 has helped me in the past. i've just yammed a foam head on and told the singer to stay as close as possible.

no plosives and no proximity effect :)

If he's constantly sticking the microphone in the crack of his ass, that's really poor etiquette, and I would ask him not to do that...unless he's paying you a whole lot

Well...if you get a mic up your ass, I'm sure it will make you raise more than your pinky! :laughings:

EV RE20 :eek:

...or one of those old RCA ribbon mics. :(

128893735932811450.jpg

If he has a naturally powerful voice(loud!) then make him sing a pop filters distance away from the diaphragm of any mic he uses so that its a clear signal. Or have him watch videos of performers who you think to have good mic etiquette.

well, if he IS sticking the mic up his ass, it's his mic. I guess I was talking about technique. not having a whole lot of trouble with plosives or sibilance. he's far enough away from the mic, and pretty consistent with the distance. TOO consistent, I think. it sounds like I'm just gonna have to work with it in the mix...bummer

thanks anyway

What kind of mic are you using and don't let him put it up his ass, that might get debris on the windscreen!

Back