mic direct to soundcard

sibleypeck

I am using an Electro Voice RE20, plugged straight into a SB PCI 64 card (via adapters). The signal is not great, but I don’t want to invest in a mic pre just yet. I do, however, want to get a better sound card and am leaning toward the Lynx One.

According to the Lynx One spec sheet available on-line, input impedance is “Balanced mode: 24 Ohms, Unbalanced mode: 12 Ohms”.
The RE20 comes from the factory set to 150 Ohms.

Will I be able to connect it to directly to the Lynx One without encountering problems? What do you recommend?

it wont work without a preamp.....you can go into the mic in of your SB because it has a built in preamp.....the Lynx doesnt.....

what's the dang deal?

I just looked on-line at a Pro MPA, and its XLR outs are 600 Ohms (unbalanced, if I recall).
The XLR ins on the Lynx One are 24kOhms (balanced) and 12kOhms (unbalanced).

First of all, I'm confused about matching gear. I understand what “impedance” is, in theory. But I don't understand whether I will be able to connect a Pro MPA directly to a Lynx One card? Do I need something in between the two units – some impedance matching device – or am I making it more complicated than it is?

The 3 things to worry about with level types are:

1. Mic level
2. Balanced Line level
3. Unbalanced line level

Dont try to decipher the impedance specs becuase it isnt that complicated.

You NEED a mic level input. I believe some of the delta cards offer this but otherwise you will need a dedicated preamp or mixer for ANY mic (except cheezy high impedance radio shack mics).

Most gear uses unbalanced line level and pro gear uses balanced. Dont worry too much about this part yet and for most applications they are interchangable. This is the type of INPUT that all sound cards have and all mixers and preamps OUTPUT.

You can afford an RE20 but no preamp?? How about these. They are affordable ways to get good quality sound into your computer.

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=7933&Category=Audio_Interfaces

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=10269&Category=Audio_Interfaces

I have the second one and it is a snap and can be used as a stand alone mic pre. It is pretty transparent, and you can use it as a direct in for bass or guitar. Not too mention since it is USB you don't even have to use a different soundcard. I really like this little box. Oh and it has SPDIF out on it too, so you can go into a soundcard with SPDIF in. Three different ways you can use it, and all of them work great.

Beezoboy

TexRoadkill,

Do you think a channel strip would work well for me?

I have an EV RE20 that I use for voice. And I plan to get a Lynx One.

I just record voice and guitar - one at a time. I need EQ and compression on the voice. And I need a mic pre. Won't a channel strip do it all?

What do you recommend, for $650 or less?

Beezoboy,

I couldn't afford to buy them both at the same time. I decided to buy the RE20 first because I knew which mic I wanted, and I can get a usable (albeit noisy) signal going straight into my SB PCI 64D.

I want to get a Lynx One card, so the pre-amp I get will have to be compatible with that.
I assume that if I get a pre-amp with unbalanced 1/4" outs, I can connect it to the XLR ins on the Lynx One with a simple, custom-made cable. Please correct me if I am wrong about that.

I still don't know which way to go on a pre-amp - only that I want to be able to use it with the Lynx One. I'm thinking, maybe a channel strip would be the best thing because I want EQ and compression/limiting.

I bought the RE20 last summer for $349, new. Now it is up to $419 at the same place.

I haven't checked the 8th Street links you sent, yet. I wanted to reply to the first part of your post so you would know that I saw it. I may have some questions about the stuff you sent, after I look at it. And by the way, thanks very much.

I dont have enough preamp experience to really rec anything. I'm an old electronic composer who is just now getting into more acoustic stuff. There has been a lot of discussion about pre's lately so just look around and you will see lots of opinions on the different pre's. I am leaning towards a Grace101 and RNC combo myself.

Back