Mic Comparison - Behringer Ultravoice XM8500 vs Shure SM57

CMolena

Hey, guys.

I did this little comparison between the Behringer XM8500 vs the Shure SM57. I pointed both mics to the 14th fret of the guitar and no EQ or compression was added, just a limiter to make the sound louder. The gain was basically the same in my Bheringer UMC204HD interface.

Dont know if the cost of both varies a lot where you guys live, but here in Brazil its a really big difference.

Anyway, I would like to hear from you guys if this is a good place to post videos like these and if this particular video could be helpful.

Thanks.

Listening to the two, I would give the edge to the SM57. It sounded more even. I thought the 8500 got a bit boomy and at times, indistinct. You might be able to reduce that by moving the mic a bit, maybe aim it away from the body.

In the US, the SM57 usually sells for right at $100, the BM8500 is about $20. If it were me trying to record a guitar and vocal with those two mics available, I would probably use the SM57 for the guitar and the 8500 for voice.

If I was doing a karaoke night, I would buy the XM8500 all day. If it got dropped in a glass of beer, there's no big loss. For a dynamic mic to record, I would go for the SM57, or, my preference, the Senn e835 which is similar in price.

nice video and nice sound! very well done!

1)the SM57 seems more pleasant to my ears, less treble less 2k bite aka smoother.. more bass, seemed full.
the other one seemed thinner, but it would work, EQ etc. .......but dont know how well its built?

2)however....5 X's the cost is pretty massive!
so thats in favor of the cheaper one! Thats the Behringer market! Decent stuff super cheap...might even be cheaper ones out there!
It would work fine live and most people arent going to notice small sounds/freq in a rough-acoustic club room. imo.
(Probably why SHURE started the PG- China line to compete in this market.
I did a shootout with a ($349) SM81 and PG81 and the "used obsolete $39ish PG81" was very impressive, very similar sound to the SM81. Still not quite as good.. but the price was a big difference and close. )

3) but....the mindhead effect of having the industry standard namebrand SHURE has some value, imo.

4)I was surprised how much difference I could hear, you recorded it well, nice audio!
so many of the videos audio sucks like some horrific drywall boxy ass sound....

5)and... I dont need 50qty identical dynamics to save money, so buying in bulk doesnt mean a lot to everyone.

6) But then recording a song with all $20 mics and compare to a song recorded with all $200 mics and one with all $2000 mics would be interesting. My brother just had about $7500 in mics given to him for free this weekend, hes been using MXL for years, so Im curious how or if there will be a big improvement on the new stuff using Neumann, KSM, RODE, AT.

Behringer's actual direct competitor to the SM57 is the SL75 C. The 8500 is supposed to compete with the SM58.

theres a interesting Shure video discussing the design and resonance frequency difference between the 57 and 58 and explains the plastic 57 and the internal body is key in the difference of sound vs 58.

Behringer flipping the numbers..lol
Theyve been copying and "stealing-ideas" since day 1 ...but they know what theyre doing and obviously its legal.
They have no shame! lol...

I wonder though if I was an inventor and my company and employees careers depended on my product, and then blatant copies made so much cheaper were able to copy nearly to perfection, but with "cheap labor" or cheaper parts,....
it seems strange its legal?

and who came up with the Patent Law that allows everyone to come in like vultures and make Fender and Shure stuff..?
Seems the original inventor or owner should get something like a .001 percent or something for their small efforts in inventing the thing to start with? lol

..oh well nothings going to change that stuff.

$20 sm57...er.,..ms75...:)

There are clear legal definitions for these things, but they rarely are narrow enough to prevent similarities. Cars are the biggest copycat, but legal area - can anyone now identify vehicles by their silhouette - I guess you might do a Range Rover, or a few of them, but the ones people buy in their masses are so similar.

Mic wise - we have the thin cylinders, the ice-cream cone, the Neumann 87 shape - the SM7B shape and a few others, but the grey taper/straight tube with plastic end really is very close to Shure's design. So are all those 50's mics that look like the Shure 55. I suppose guitars are next - Tele shape, Strat shape, SG shape, Flying V, Les Paul, 335 - all made by loads of manufacturers but with small changes. Sticking the Fender or Gibson name on them is the dodgy bit - turning look alike to counterfeit.

I bought a Shure 545 on ebay, knowing that for £15 it was never going to be a genuine one. The silver parts are polished too highly, and the black plastic is far too shiny - but the Shure label and packaging is brilliant. However, plug it in and it's a dull dynamic. Might look good in a pop video?

Back