Mic Care????

Fmmahoganyrush

Pleads the 5th...
OK.. This may be a dumb question, but like they say, the dumbest question is the one that isn't asked...lol..

I have an AT4050. I usually leave it set on a boom stand. It usually ends up hanging out near a rather large speaker (which doesn't have magnetic shielding). Can this do any damage to the mic over time?

Tom -- humidity kills mic dias. If you're going to leave it out, at least cover it with a plastic bag with a gelpak dissecant thrown in (sealed with a twist tie, elastic or something)...

Thanx Bruce! For that reason alone, I'll take it offthe boom and put it in the handy little container it came in... ...but if I store it next to a speaker.... um...:confused:

Magnetic fields diffuse very rapidly. I don't think you need to worry about that. But like Bruce said, moisture bad!

Twist

Alan from Studio Projects posted some helpful mic care tips here a while back and recomended putting mic's under a 100-watt light for about 5-6 hours or so to dry them if humidity gets to them. He also said dust is bad for the mic's. Oh, and you can reactivate the gelpak's by drying them out in the oven till they change color (don't burn them, lol.). I put my mic's away when not in use. I put the mic in a plastic zip-lock bag with a gelpak inside and zip it up, then I put the mic in the zipper mic bag and then put it in an aluminum case that I got form Harbor Freight Tools, Item 39196 for $19.99 on sale. And finely it all goes in my mic safe (a converted gun safe). lol

While were discussing mics that stand close to speakers while not in use, if we forget about the magnetic voodoo, can the sound of the speaker harm the diaphragm of the mic ?

In other words, a mic which isn't in "use", does it have the same SPL as when hooked up ?

For a dynamic it should be yes, but what about condensers ?

as far as i know, the only way that's going to happen is if the speaker's so loud, and the microphone so close, that it tears the diaphram.
i could really only see that being possible with a ribbon microphone or REALLY sensitive condensor placed WAY too close.

Stefan Elmblad said:
While were discussing mics that stand close to speakers while not in use, if we forget about the magnetic voodoo, can the sound of the speaker harm the diaphragm of the mic ?

In other words, a mic which isn't in "use", does it have the same SPL as when hooked up ?

For a dynamic it should be yes, but what about condensers ?

OK.. that's what I was trying to get at! I usually just leave this thing sitting on a boom stand, and is usually parked right in front of a JBL G734 when not in use. I should probably put it in a baggy and put it away... ...but I just wondered if it may have incurred any damage from hanging out in such close proximity to the speaker for so long.....

Back