mic cables

dmas

I am looking to make my own snake, but the only cable I can find is four conductor sheilded. Does anyone know where I can get some 8 (or more) conductor sheilded cable?

I thinking about a studio snake but if you have info on live ones, I'd love to hear about that too.

[This message has been edited by dmas (edited 01-13-2000).]

Here's what I recently did for my studio about 3 months ago:

Purchased Canare StarQuad L-E46S microphone cable in bulk from Full Compass. Now, I bought 1k feet of it, but I think it also comes in 100' for $51US (.51/ft), 250' for $112.5US (.45/ft), and 500' for I don't remember how much.

Then, I bought Neutrik connectors from Full Compass. For my snake, I just needed female XLRs which cost $2.50US for 1-9 or $1.63US for 10-49. But I also bought some male XLRs for individual mic cables which cost $2.30US for 1-9 or $1.50US for 1-49.

You can buy Switchcraft male and female XLRs for a higher price from Full Compass too if you prefer.

If you need male or female 1/4" TRS jacks, Full Compass sells Canare, Neutrik, and Switchcraft of them too. The male Neutriks are $3.30US for 1-9 or $2.15US for 10-49. The female Neutriks are $5.94US for 1-9 or $3.86US for 10-49. The Canare and Switchcraft are even higher priced.

By the way, I own about half Switchcraft connecotors and half Neutrik connectors; of both XLRs and TRS 1/4"s, and I can't tell a single difference. I'm even using Mogami cable for my line levels cables and Belden cable for my speaker cables, so the quality of any of the cables I'm using is not the reason for why I don't hear a diffeence.

Yeah, it's not a real snake, but if you just use a good share of cable ties, it works extremely well. Plus, you're saving yourself money and getting a sigificant increase in the quality of your cable; as long as you're willing to put the time into soldering your own cables. And for most of us here, it's the time we do have, and not the money.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, it is GREATLY appreciated. I found another catalog which has a ton of DIY parts. It is called MCM Electronics. You can order a catalog on their website, www.mcmelectronics.com .

[This message has been edited by dmas (edited 01-14-2000).]

R.E:
You just unknowingly answered a question that I had for you... Let me ask you this: Is that Canare wire the highest grade wire that they make???

Glad I could help. The answer is yes.

Here's a quote from the Canare site:

"L-4E6S
The premier Star Quad cable for all hand held microphone applications. Flexible, satin smooth to the touch and extra-strong, this standard diameter, 21 AWG cable fits perfectly in all XLR-type audio connectors.
Forty separate strands in each conductor eliminate breakage due to flexing. Available in 10 beautiful matte finish color jackets."

I bought the red finish color jacket. It looks so expensive; maybe because it is. The other reason I bought that color is there's next to no doubt if that cable is yours or not. Some of the other good colors for that is the Green, Orange, Yellow, etc.

Check-out the site for yourself at www.canare.com

Here's another question... Full compass doesn't list Canare wire on their website... Do you have to call 'em up to do the deal?
What prompted you to go with Canare over Mogami or Belden?

A lot of what's not on their website is in their printed catalog. Most things in it are list price and you have to call for their price anyway, but stuff such as cable, connectors, tapes, and other mis. supplies are their actual price printed in the catalog.

A far as choosing Canare Star Quad mic cable over Mogami or Belden... I really usually don't prefer one over the other two. It's just a matter of who has the current best deal going. I only prefer on occation.

I use Canare for studio mic cables (high quality, nicest looking), Mogami for line level cables both behind the patchbay and patch cords (since a majority your cables are line level, I like the small diameter of Mogami line level cable), and Belden for speaker cable in the studio and all cables for live applications (out of the three, Belden seems to be the most rugged; which is needed to take the road abuse. Although, it's the hardest to manage).

What's really nice is that in the studio with hundreds of cables, I can at least know what kind of cable it is just by looking at the brand.

I'm looking at switching over to good wire... If I win one more lawsuit I am there...

If you're mainly using Hosa and/or Proco or something identical now, you'll notice signifact improvements with mainly good wire.

One more lawsuit huh? Get 'em S8-N!

Back