Mic Cables...what's out there that's worth the $

BeBop

I'm using some C414 TL2's and Neuman 184's. I've seen the Kiwi, Blueberry et al...I know Monster makes a pretty substantial cord too.

What are folks going for these days??

I know the bucks can be worth it.

Bebop

I will buy a hosa, spray paint it blue and sell it for $50 if that makes you feel better.

Blue gives you much better transients.

Do you know how to solder? I would say "make your own!!!" It's much cheaper to do it this way. Go to fullcompass.com or markertek.com and check out mogami or canare...Good Stuff!!!

Ya seriously...I have Canare Quad cable for my mics, and seriously it makes a whale of a difference. Making your own cables is seriously cost effective....I think a roll of Canare/Mogami quad is approx. us$120.

Canare Star Quad will go for ~$0.33 a foot, and Mogami Quad will go for about ~$0.70 a foot. I agree, building your own cables is definately something to consider. Unlike other DIY projects, you really can save money, and you can do your own customizations without being a super genius :)

Slackmaster 2000

Soo..

Can anyone guess how much it would cost to build a 24 channel mic snake..let's say about 60 foot of cable, and how thick it would get with some of this stuff? My Horizon snake is no good, and needs to get sent back to Horizon..but if I can make a new one that will sound a LOT better for not so much, maybe...?

-Sal

Great cables or great profit

There are a bunch of articles out their by engineers saying this cable thing is a scam.

Even the Gold Tipped connectors only keep one from having to unplug and replug a couple of times to remove corrosion.

I was at GCenter tonight and opened the connector on a very expensive snake. It was a basic hand saughter job.

As long as the housing and the construction is good, it seem everything else could be bunk.

I have seen math which showed how much noise the cable would have to introduce to cause any effect on frequencies and it's mindblowing.

I have allways thought that the whole cable issue was a crock of Horse-Sh*t, Get some decent cable (Beldon do some good value 2 core) and some decent connectors and make them yourself.

I make my own with StarQuad cable and Neutrik connectors--the same with 1/4" balanced cables--it's the only way to go.

I don't know about cables. But if we're talking connectors, I say Neutrik!

Can anyone from Sweden/scandinavia tell me where I can find Monster Cable and what they cost.

/fim

Back