Mic Cable Help

Dexter411

Hi everyone,

I am about to purchase 4 microphones. On the mixer that I use, there are 4 channels. The first 2 channels have XLR inputs but the other 2 do not. What I am wondering is whether I can buy XLR - 1/4" cable that will change the impedance or if I have to spend the extra $20 to buy XLR - XLR cable AND one of those impedence converters.

I am looking at this cable. Thanks in advance for any help.

I think I've gotten most of this studio stuff figured but now, I just need to make sure about this :).

Thanks!

sounds like two lo impedence and two high impedence inputs on your mixer...so your 2nd option would seem to be the correct route. Just a guess, however. Do you have a link to that kind of mixer?

Rather than use the cable I would buy an two impedence convertors and use regular xlr cable. The musicians friend cable that you pointed out is essentially a hi impededance cable with an xlr connector on one end. It won't change the impedence of your mic. You would have better performance by changing the mic's impedendance with the convertor.

I have a Behringer mixer with a similar configuration i.e. 2 XLR inputs which have IMP preamps and a few other channels without preamps. I use outboard preamps on these channels (I have a Presonus BlueTube and an ART TubeMP OPL). That way I plug the XLR into the preamp, and the 1/4" out from the preamp goes to the mixer. Works great, sounds great, and these preamps are cheap!

Back