Mic Budget Help!

jonathangeiger

Ok, I know you guys really don't like this, but......I've got 1,000 or so dollars to upgrade my setup. I mainly record electric guitars, and vocals. But I'm looking for something that would do those well and still be somewhat expandable so I could do acoustic guitars (with clarity, not strummy sounding) and maybe a drum kit.

I currently own a DMP3 running to a Delta 44. The 57 and two AT3035's.

I'm pretty set on a RNP for another pre. And I'm stuck on the mics. Maybe...

2 Solaris'

or

1 Cad M179 and an At4040?

or something else entirely?

HELP!

electric guitars.....Sennheiser e609 $100 bucks

at3035s are ok on acoustic...so are mxl 603s (stereo pair is $200 check sweetwater.com and i think you get it with shockmounts)

i would go with the at4040 though becuase its good on acoustic and on vocals

If you'll be miking drums at any point in the near future (or even if you won't), consider getting a nice Large Diaphragm Dynamic. The Electovoice RE20 or Shure SM7 come to mind. They work great on guitar cabs (better than the 57), many vocals, and can be useful for kick drum and toms. True workhorse mics. You could pick up a used one of either for <$300 on e-bay.

Additionally, a pair of SDCs would be nice. The MXL 603s or Studio Projects C4 are popular in the lower budget category.

The Solaris or M179 aren't a bad idea, either. Multipattern mics are handy to have around.

Eventually, you'll want at least one of each category in you collection. The choice of what to get first is up to you.

Alternately, I've seen the AT4050 on ebay for $450. That would make a killer vocal mic, and is multipattern. They claim it was used at the Grammy ceremony and carries a full factory warranty. I am unbelievably tempted by this offer, but can't afford it at present.

I don't know, after reading massive's solaris thread and also listening to some clips of acoustic guitar and stuff with them they seem to be very nice for acoustic instruments. I'm wondering how well they are on vocals though, as I really don't enjoy my voice on the at3035 or the sm57.

The AT3035's are pretty nice however on the guitar cab.

See, I like clarity and the solaris seems to have alot of it. but I'm not sure....

I'll go research all the mics you suggested.

What do you guys think of the SP C1?

Last edited:
electric guitars and vox

my akg 414 sounds awesome on some vox, and almost every amp it's been in front of. also an incredibly verstile mic that you will NEVER get rid of

RNP?
I would be a bit afraid of buying that pre-amp. Ain't that the kind of pre you need if you're laying track upon track upon track upon...whatever.

Maybe you've read the thread about many people probably not would be able to hear that much difference between a DMP3 and a RNC. I might be wrong...haven't heard either.

I have an RNP and I love it. I layer stuff all the time and it sounds great. I'll post an example:

needs tweaking, but you get the picture.

As for mics, I'm cheap mic King. I deal in the low end. I've tried and bought a large number of cheapies ($99 - $400 and one Neumann TLM, which, btw, is low on my favorites list)

My current fav:

Studio projects B1. $99. This mic will make you smile. It has that "I don't need eq" quality that, for $99, almost makes you shit your pants. It's a tremendous bargain. I suggest you buy two of them...they're just so bloody inexpensive...nearly disposable, but so so so great.

I'm using B1 on the guit and the Neuman on the vox. RNP-RNC combo. The guitar is a Taylor C314 or something like that...it's a smallish one with a cutaway.

jonathangeiger said:
Ok, I know you guys really don't like this, but......I've got 1,000 or so dollars to upgrade my setup. I mainly record electric guitars, and vocals. But I'm looking for something that would do those well and still be somewhat expandable so I could do acoustic guitars (with clarity, not strummy sounding) and maybe a drum kit.

I currently own a DMP3 running to a Delta 44. The 57 and two AT3035's.

I'm pretty set on a RNP for another pre. And I'm stuck on the mics. Maybe...

2 Solaris'

or

1 Cad M179 and an At4040?

or something else entirely?

HELP!

On acoustic guit and vox, I just don't think the RNP will be an upgrade (actually I've heard clips of the RNP on acoustic and don't think it sounds as good as the DMP3). I'd spend more money and get a real upgrade like a Sytek, Sebatron, or Speck.

Back