Mic and SPL levels

Neil Ogilvie

Still Learning.......
I have been thinking about mic design theory and began to wonder if mic frequency response changes with SPL levels?

My hi-fi speakers tend to lack mids at low volumes - could mics do the same? Perhaps a similar thing to Proximity effect...... but not proximity, volume......

Your speaker response is probably more of a function of the Flecther/Munson curve effect on your hearing than their frequency response changing with power input, although I'm sure it does have some effect.

Neil Ogilvie said:
I have been thinking about mic design theory and began to wonder if mic frequency response changes with SPL levels?

My hi-fi speakers tend to lack mids at low volumes - could mics do the same? Perhaps a similar thing to Proximity effect...... but not proximity, volume......
A mic can respond differently to different volumes.

Re: Re: Mic and SPL levels

DJL said:
A mic can respond differently to different volumes.

Good point there from Track Rat, but DJL, is there a rule of thumb as to how a mic will behave at certain volumes?

For instance, the closer a mic is to a sound source the greater the bass response (proximity effect). As SPL's increase, are there certain frequencies or ranges that are boosted?

Back