Mic amp?

fkoliveira

I'm new on recording and I took a look at previous posts so now I have my first question.

I have Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 and my soundcard is a Sound Blaster Live! Platinum 5.1, which is pretty good. I got a great sound when I record directly on the computer instead of mic my amp.

What are the advantages of mic the amp when I can plug my guitar/pedals to the computer?

Thanx!

Sound Blaster Live cards suck. Sorry man but post your guitar track. I wanna hear how it could possibly sound good going direct to that card. Nothing beats micing a great tube amp. Such power and great tone. But I guess it depends on what type of sound you are looking for. Also if you are going to record direct you should use a direct box.

What kinds of mic's do you have, what kind of amp and guitar setup do you have, what kind of music are you recording?
Enquiring minds want to know......:)
Most people I know of mic their Guitar cabs, but the questions above will give a little more insight as to what you are working with.
Welcome to the board
Todd

I guess you use an amp simulator, a POD or V-Amp or whatever? Because I can't believe you can get a good guitarsound while just plugging your guitar in.

I also have a soundblaster live, and when I use my POD I have some fine results. Maybe not as good one as I would have with a 24 bit card, but hey, this is homerecording and at the moment I can't afford another card.

I gotta an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with a Zoom 2020 pedal and I use no POD but yes, the sound is quite good. I'll try micing the amp to see and compare the results. Thanks for the tip.

Keilson, I know SB is not the best soundcard but I guess we're talking about home recording, and imop SB fully supply my needs for that. Besides, I can't afford a better one.

Thanks guys!

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound insulting. I used to own that card, until I realized it could only take me so far. gbondo9 is correct in stating it depends on your mic, mixer, preamps, acoustics. Everything comes into factor. Zoom doesn't really have a good sound. Wondering if you could post the sound somewhere fo us to hear?

That's ok. As I said I'm a fresh guy and I'm just starting on recording so I don't need a very expensive gear at this moment, maybe later and I'm full of stupid questions.

For now I'm just fooling around the soft functionalities so I just have a few mocks not a good project that I could send you, but as soon as have something more than some noises put toghether I'll put it somewhere so you can take a look at it. Thanks anyway!

Mic'ing the amp makes a HUGE difference when you have a good amp. Also, a decent mic, like a SM57 and a good preamp help.

Back