Mia, any good

Shockwave

Curious before I battle the two sound card war. Is Mia worth the trouble to install so I can run both SB platinum and Mia? I realize I should just dump the SB and go with the Mia, if anything, but my SB with the live drive is still useful to me so I'm hoping for both. I've got opinions on this already but I'm looking for more. Thanks!

i am using the echo mia
and the M-audiophile 24/96
together
both cards are terrific in my opinion
i have never had any kind of conflicts with them both installed

i got the MIA before i got the M-audio though to totally learn how the mia worked and shit

the control panel for the MIA is ver well designed
and all my music prg.s easily work with it
and the sound is very clean as well too

id say go for it man
its a great budget card

peace

I've had a Mia and an SBLive running in my PC for 8 months now and love the combination. Zero problems (make SURE you read their FAQs on motherboard compatibility... lots of people with VIA chipsets have had problems but I don't know if that's cleared up or not... I have an Intel chipset and it worked out of the box.)

Make sure the SBLive is installed and working FIRST... Creative software likes to grab resouces I was told.... and then pop in the Mia.

I have a cable running from the SBLive line-out into my mixer which does all the audio I/O for the Mia; the SBLive I treat as an "onboard hardware/software synth/sampler".

I set my sequencer to put all audio to the Mia and all MIDI to the SBLive and was up and running with no problems at all.

I plan to use this combination on all my DAWs in the future.

Thanks for the info everyone. I actually attempted to install the Mia and the first dialoge that came up said it was attempting to delete drivers, so I freaked and aborted. I have gone through sound card hell in the past. I guess I'm just goning to have to go for it and hope for the best.

BTW- I have a gateway 550 p3 with Intel. Wish me luck!

I was over at the Harmony Central board this morning and saw a post from a guy who just upgraded his Sound Blaster only system by adding a Mia card and now he's having major problems with audio drop outs (http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64247&highlight=mia).

I had simlar problem when I added a SB Live! to my Aardvark/SONAR setup, I finally decided that it was not worth the hassle holding on the SB card just so I could use sound fonts.

I'm sure other folks have had the problem and resolved the conflicts (Ethan Winer???) but for me it will be easier to use some other external MIDI device, perhaps a keyboard...

Phil

Thanks a lot Phyl and the link to harmony was great. I don't use the sb for midi. I use an Akai dps24 for tracking and I like to further master, wave edit in saw plus and archive to the pc. I don't really need two cards for mutitracking. I love the drive in the tower and I use the optical connections very frequently so I want to keep the SB in place. I'm hoping that because I have the SB in there already the two will coexist. A lot of the conflicts seem to be happening to the guy on harmony that are related to using a multitracking software and midi. I just want to be able to choose between the two at different times when the need arises. But, I'm not a computer wiz and conflicts would grind me to a screeching hault. Bottom line, I'm just going to have to give it a shot and see what happens....

Back