Mexi Strat Mod

ridgeback

Yes I know it's not the nicest ride on the block but I've played this one for a year now and really like the feel. I play through a 71 Twin Reverb and the "clean sound" especially on the neck pick-up is lush and REALLY warm. I love it. However, the bridge position pick-up and in between seem lacking in bite and I'm more prone to use that edgy sound. I was thinking about dropping in two Carvin AP11 single coils and a Carvin C22B humbucker at the bridge via Carvin's AG2 assembly. I've played some Carvin axes and they always sounded pretty nice. Anyone have any experience with Carvin's P/U's or other suggestions. I'm also tempted to hot-plate the twin to get a little more growl without blowing my brains out. Suggestions? Comments?

ridgeback said:
Yes I know it's not the nicest ride on the block but I've played this one for a year now and really like the feel. I play through a 71 Twin Reverb and the "clean sound" especially on the neck pick-up is lush and REALLY warm. I love it. However, the bridge position pick-up and in between seem lacking in bite and I'm more prone to use that edgy sound.

I think that's what fender twins sound like. they are mushy on top. I don't think you can get anything much brighter than stock fender single coils. Most people get aftermarket stuff that is more midrangey/higher gain.

I'm one of those peavey douchebags. I play rockabilly and nothing gives you that clang like Peavey. It's the filling-rattling high end that I crave. Fender twins' high peak is at a lower frequency than peaveys'.

Back