Metronome HELP

Antz_Marchin

Before I knew anything about Sonar, I hatedthe metronome clicking and stopped it....Now I want it to record but cant get it to go again......I can only get a stupid beeping metronome fmr my computer tower.....dont like that one. PLease help : ) .....Thanks BJ

Dont worry BJ, First goto view tool bar and check the metronome, and then you will get a tool bar, where you can play with it. Look at the picture.

Attachments

• metro_sonar.jpg
    metro_sonar.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 172
Antz_Marchin said:
I can only get a stupid beeping metronome fmr my computer tower.....dont like that one
You need an external MIDI Sound source to play the metronome. If you have a SB Live!/Audigy you can use that (or any card with onboard synth). You can use your external MIDI-device such as keyboard (if it has onboard synth) or drum-machine.

Or check out Ping DXi. :D

Or you can create a wav-file with beeps every 1/4 tick, and groove-clip it. Then you can drag it all over the project (or where you need the metronome).

And if you don't know how to create a metronome wave, I did it for you! :D Just un-pack it (it's zip'ed), and import it (it's allready groove-clipped).

Attachments

• metronome.zip
    29.4 KB · Views: 193
Cool thanks guys, gonna give it a try tonight.

PS.....I did have the tool bar up already and had it set just like you had it in the pic. Use on Recording/accent 1st note and the quarter note for MIDI. Thanks again .......BJ

Hey moskus, the wav file you made for me worked just fine....I can loop it and set the tempo as I like it but I'm just curious as to how it can be done the other way. See I do have SBLive like you said can be used but I still can't seem to get it to work from the metronome taskbar.....I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. Thanks again.....BJ

The metronome will only work with one specific port. Go to Options -> Midi Devices, and check where in the list "SB Live! Synth A" (or similar, something with A, not B). Is it nr. 1, 2 or 3?

Then open Options -> Project -> Metronome, and it's Port settings should be the same as the listning nr. Theoretically, it should work now... :)

In order to enhancing moskus answer...

The metronome will only work with one specific port. Go to Options -> Midi Devices, and check where in the list "SB Live! Synth A" (or similar, something with A, not B). Is it nr. 1, 2 or 3?

Take a look at picture below... my example here I use port 3 for SB Live! Synth port...

Attachments

• third.jpg
    third.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 132
Then open Options -> Project -> Metronome, and it's Port settings should be the same as the listning nr. Theoretically, it should work now...

Yup... And don't forget to enable internal synth MIDI playback in your Windows mixer (double click speaker on taskbar near clock). As you see I use port 3 then assign it in Project's metronome. With F#3, you should hear hihat as the metronome sound. Need louder one ? try G#4 for cowbell... ;)

Attachments

• metronome.jpg
    metronome.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 125
Metronome up and Running.......thanks guys you're awesome...Turns out I had my SB Synth in port 2 and the metronome set to port 1....What would I do without you : )

Oh wait one more thing. I had no problem changing the tempo of the WAV using the tampo bar but how do I change the tempo of the MIDI metronome? and can I turn down the volume on the metronome beat (right now I have a pretty loud closed hi hat hit) ?? Thanks again

Oh wait one more thing. I had no problem changing the tempo of the WAV using the tampo bar but how do I change the tempo of the MIDI metronome?

This is funny :D Most people had a problem with changing tempo with wave, and you have a problem with changing tempo of the MIDI metronome :D To change the metronome tempo, then simply change the projects tempo. The metronome should follow the tempo setting of your project.

and can I turn down the volume on the metronome beat (right now I have a pretty loud closed hi hat hit) ??

Lower the velocity. By default it's 127 for first click, and 100 for other beats. Set it... eg. 80 and 60.

;)
Jaymz

James Argo said:
Lower the velocity. By default it's 127 for first click, and 100 for other beats. Set it... eg. 80 and 60.
And you'll find these settings in Options -> Project -> Metronome... ;)

Back