Metalcore Mix

Grape

It's compressed. It's loud. It's metal.

I recorded a band last night, mastered a rough mix.

http://www.box.net/shared/a7vhcyei42

I recommend downloading it and then playing it back with a good playback app rather than using the box player.

Thoughts, comments, questions =]]

<33

btw, I used a $4 soundcard for an additional track to record. (the kick, which I later replaced via triggering)
no latency issues + quality was just fine.

i dunno if it's my headphones i have on or what, but that kick is bugging the hell out of me - and to the point that it really distracts from the rest of the mix

might be a different story on the monitors though...vox and the rest of the kit do sound pretty good

Had a quick listen at work, sounds tasty to me. Kick is prominent but thats 100% the idea in this genre.

It's compressed. It's loud. It's metal.

<33

That's 3 good reasons to listen to it.....:D

It's pretty good for this genre, not worse than anything I've heard in this style before. Kick is just right (ever listened to Joey Jordison's kick....?:D)
I like it.

Joey:):):):)

01 Guitars
I don't really like the type of distortion. I noticed that the guitars are also downtuned which makes the recording process more complicated. But that;'s a matter of personal taste.

02 Bass
Lacks definition. It's there, rumbling but I cannot distinguish the notes. There's not too much to comment on this subject.

03 Vocals
Great. This guys have the balls. Volume is allright too, it's nice to have the scream just in your fucking face!

04 Drums
Triggers sound really fake in this mix. Try using another sample... a more natural one. Another option is to blend the original kick with the midi drum sample. In that way you'll get the natural dynamics of the performance with a nice "clacky" sound. BTW, the drummer seems to be off tempo in some passages of the song.

I like the song but i dont like the mix whatsoever. The major problem which i have with the song when i heard it and most people have noticed is that dam kick trigger: its out of time for starters and it sound horrible. Also the rest drums are being lost in the mix, cause you've mixed the guitars way to harshly to much high end. And it sound like youve overcompressed everything.

Not bad attempt cause its not easy to mix this genre as most of the instruments are around the low frequncies.

What DAW did you record and mix in?

Yeah this is a really terrible performance. I guess it's not your fault. If you're gonna be fast and heavy and do a shit ton of double-kicking, you gotta be tight and this is far from tight. It sounds like a mess. That kick sample sounds retarded. The guitars sound okay, but they're sloppy. As the engineer/producer, you should have demanded better performances. If they're paying you for this mess, you need to make a better mix. The kick sounds stupid and the rest of the drums are buried. Worry about being loud later. Focus on a better mix, if you can.

This might be from the fact I used Ozone to master for the first time.

http://www.box.net/shared/f85lgnitl0

The mix before the mastering. (you'll hear lots of clipping)

And I thought the performance wasn't bad aside from the double-bass. which I told them I would be able to quantize effectively. (apparently not)

I still got work. Lower the compression, bring up some mids, take off a little verb from the snare, etc.

Thanks for the input guys!!!
<33 Grape

This might be from the fact I used Ozone to master for the first time.

http://www.box.net/shared/f85lgnitl0

The mix before the mastering. (you'll hear lots of clipping)

There's no reason to have clipping issues on a mix. Most good mixes are really low in volume. The idea is to balance all the instruments not to make them louder. That can be done later during the mastering process. Until then, bring down the faders and start mixing again. First drums, then bass, add guitars and finally the voice. You'll be surprised with the results. Good luck.

Sorry man, I didn't care for it that much. I didn't like the kick at all because it was jumbled together. As a drummer I listen for that stuff even though I'm not an awesome drummer by any definition.

IMHO, the drummer doesn't seem to be great with his kick timing.
I'd suggest either getting him to work on his timing, or not play
such quick/complex rhythms.

I thought the kick stood out too much aswell, which also highlights
the timing issues.

However, vocals are clear (mixwise :p), liked the guitar sound,
and the bass isn't too far off from what it normally does in this
genre - which is providing backing for the guitars (main focus).

It would be nice to hear more metal music where the bass has the
low-end AND some definition. I feel it's too mistreated as a mix's
low-frequency filler and not an instrument.

Sounding good though, keep up the good work ;)

Oh, and it's nice to hear Arch Enemy's previous vocalist is
back on the scene :p

My two cents.

The kick sounds awesome. There is just way to much of it and i dunno if its my works speakers or not but everyonce in a while it really sounds like its off time, or just being kicked in spots it shouldnt be. Buddy was right. It does kinda grate at you. Not like i wanna throw stuff like angy metal music should. Just like grate at me like its annoying casue something about it is amiss.

Guitars. Stellar. Awesome Job.

The singer sounds too polished for the genre. Dirty it up. I don't think of mister clean or a sparkly freshly waxed austin minis when i listen to this type of stuff. Think rusted out chevy nova or a sweat/blood soaked wifebeater tank top.

I recorded a band with a smiliar vocal style and i added a wee bit of distortion to his vocals, just enough that i could hear it, then turn it back justa smidge. Also used a little less bottom end then i usually would. Sounded pretty good. . . . but probably casue it was my handy work.

Long story short they loved it.

Just a suggestion.

Back