Metal song reverb?

Vigo

Was just wondering what would be a good starting point for a metal song reverb.

Im guessing nothing too long and keep the signal not too wet but that's just me im not really used to mixing metal music.

If anyone is an adept in this, it'd be nice to have your advice, thanks a bunch!

Was just wondering what would be a good starting point for a metal song reverb.

Im guessing nothing too long and keep the signal not too wet but that's just me im not really used to mixing metal music.

If anyone is an adept in this, it'd be nice to have your advice, thanks a bunch!

There is no starting point man. Well, actually if there was one it would be absolutely none at all for metal.

But the definition of 'metal' is vague in itself. Are we talking 'Stryper' or 'Slayer' in your perception of metal?

It is up to you to decide what is good.

:)

hmmm well the song looks like master of puppets but the feeling isn't the same (I know master of puppets has lots of reverb and im not sure i want to head this way) i'll try like Jimmy said and start from nothing and i'll go up gradually to see what it does

There is no try, only do, or do not. (Master Yoda)
Metallica used a lot of reverb in the early days, but that's not where the genre has gone. You're talking mainstream metal as opposed to dark/death (with the barking vocals) or pop (like Greg was alluding to (not even sure either of those could have been considered metal) :) ). Melodic reverb (short tight) seems to be the rule in the current stream, but also a lot of flat and just a little plate on the drums. Remember, in metal (and other places) the best effects are the ones you don't notice...until you bypass them. They should enhance the sound without being audible. :D

"Back in the day" we probably had more channels of reverb returns than channels with compressors on them for metal. One on the snare feeding another (usually a gate into a delayed plate or hall), similar with the toms (especially if you could get away with the same chain), a hall for the area mics and overheads, delayed plate for the vocals, hall for the [delay/echo] return on the vocals and/or sparkly instruments...

Yeah, it's a bit simpler now. Sprinkle some early reflections around and call it.

The reverb tends to get shorter as the tempo of the song goes up, or at least the busier the song is.

Fast song, short reverb. Slow song, longer reverb. YMMV

But, yes, it is better off if you don't notice it so much until it's gone. It needs to be there to add depth, not get your attention.

Back