metal recording tips

psycho_buddy

yo i haven't realy seen any thing ont homerecording about recording metal. so im hopeing to start a good metal thread going. Im hopeing for anybodys help that may know the smallest thing about recording metal to the larger more exterm things. So please any body that could help post what ever you may know to help people like me and others.

post tips, tricks, styles, and every little thing about recording fucking metal.

for any styles of metal what ever goes.

Most important thing I guess is a good guitar sound. Record 2 - 4 guitar tracks and pan left/right, use less gain than you use when playing live. Boost the mids to hell on your amp. If possible use different guitars and 2 different amps or amp settings. If recording with a mic, play around till you find that sweet spot in front of your amp speaker. My position is 3 - 4 inches from the grill, in the middle off-axis about 20°, pointed to where the dust-cap meets the cone, but I think everyone should find the position they like best.
Plenty of good guitar players around here, so I'm sure you'll get more advice.

Ditto to Joey's goodz. ;)

You can scoop the mids on your kick from around 100 hz up to around 350 hz to get a good thump and click out of it. That also helps leave room for the bass guitar to sit in.

Like Joey said....less distortion on the guitars than you'd normally use playin live.

I tend to double track my guitars too. Not copy/paste but play the same part twice with different guitars or amp settings. I tend to just pan to taste but they generally end up being from hard left/right to 3:00 and 9:00.

If you're not very up on compression yet....don't track with it. Once it's done ya can't undo.

When tracking...shoot for levels of -18 up to -12 for your peaks. Don't track it "as hot as possible without clipping". That way of tracking was good for reel to reel and maybe 16 bit, but in 24 bit and up, there's just no point.

:drunk:

All these tips are good, but they're more mixing tips than recording tips. I'm not speaking from experience, because I don't do metal, but I would think that the RECORDING principles for metal are the same as the recording principles for anything else. Get good core sounds with good mics placed properly and you should be OK. Any EQ'ing, etc....that you do to make it sound "metal" will be done after recording.

Metal heads correct me if I'm wrong.

HPF the kick to about 2k.

This is a joke, right? :p You want plenty of click, but you also want it to feel like a punch to the gut.

Honestly, there's about 1,527 "How do I record good metal guitar" threads around here, I'm surprised you didn't find any. To quickly build off what joey said...

Guitars
  • Layer. Layer, layer, layer. Try less gain than you think you need, as doubling or quad-tracking them makes them sound "bigger" and this allows you to still get a pretty good attack from your guitar sound. Of course, this pretty much requires you to be a damned tight player - that's true of pretty much anything though, for any genre that's remotely technical.
  • I'm actually going to disagree with the "use two guitars" thing, at least for fairly technical stuff. Different pickup positions in the same guitar, sure (I personally dig the sound of the middle position on H-H guitars for layering with a bridge pickup sound), but you begin to run into ever-so-slight intonation differences between even well-intonated guitars when you start doubling with different ones. This is especially true with different scale lengths. Definitely explore complimentary amp settings though - relatively clean, bright tracks layered against more distorted, darker, smoother ones. The whole is more than the sum of its parts.
  • Scooped mids suck. Don't do it. Also remember that a good metal guitar sound is as much the product of the way the bass fits in with the guitar as it is the guitar itself - you're probably going to end up doing some high pass work, and I'd be very careful about boosting the bass on the amp. Also, while this isn't something you'd want to do 100% of the time, I know a lot of guys who advocate low-passing their guitars around 7-8khz to get rid of some of the "fuzz" in the very high end. If you're having major problems here, then it's probably due to mic positioning, amp settings, or something else somewhere in your chain, but it's worth a shot.
  • Maybe 99.99% of metal rhythm is the product of a close-mic'd amp - 2" or less from the speaker - generally with a SM57 or some variant. I like the 57, but an Audix i5 might be a work too - a little deeper, a little less middy. I have one of each and go back and forth basically based on mood.

Everything Else
(I'm a guitarist - so shoot me :D)

That said, honestly, when I hear a kickass metal mix, more often than not it's the drums and bass that I'm digging the shit out of. I even say this as a guitarist. This isn't really my strength, but...

As a jumping off point, remember that a "natural" drum sound has very little to do with modern metal - your goal here isn't to capture the sound of the kit in the room, but rather to create something a bit artificial. In particular, a metal kick sounds very little like a live kick drum. A lot of the top producers in the genre will end up just replacing the kick on their records, either with a sample from the drummer's performance or a stock set, or occasionally will use the originals but also augment them with a sampled kick to even them out a bit (it's surprisingly tough to get perfectly even double kick stuff down, I gather, and you want your drummer to sound like a machine here). That said, you're looking for a kick tone with a strong fundamental, a powerful "click" to cut through (especially true with low tuned guitars) in the 6-8khz range, and not much at all in the mids. An example I like of a metal kick in a detuned context that if anything sounds exaggeratedly EQd but makes a good example for that is the drum sound on Devin Townsend's "Terria" - it's actually an awful drum sound IMO, but it just works so well with the huge wall of sound going on elsewhere in the album (this is the exception that proves the rule on what I was saying about great drums and bass usually being what I like about a metal mix :p). Also, the kick (and snare, to an extent) will usually be louder in a modern metal mix by a noticable amount than they are if you're standing in the room with the drummer.

For bass, personally the best results I've gotten have been by using a Sansamp RBI pre, and recording two outs - one a "clean" direct with no processesing, and another with a fair amount of the pretty shitty sounding distortion that the preamp provides. I then low-pass the clean one, either high pass or seriously cut the very low end of the dirty one, compress the clean one pretty heavily and the dirty one very little (relying on the natural compression from the gain), then bring them both up panned center, blend to taste, and then try offsetting the clean one a sample or two at a time here and there to see if anything about the way it starts to phase works for me. This gives you a great, kind of gritty bass sound with a crisp attack, but still a lot of depth to it.

Also, look into sidechain compressing your bass - Reaper's compressor allows you to do that and the program is free to try/cheap to use, and at least on par if not better than any other DAW I've used. The idea is that you put a compressor on the bass, but instead of letting the bass signal trigger the compressor, use the kick drum to trigger it so whenever there's a hit on the kick, the bass gets clamped down on a bit. This helps keep the low end clear, and since a huge amount of getting a good metal mix is carving out space for the bass and drum to work WITH each other rather than fighting for space (complimentary EQ, sidechain compressing, whatever) anything you can do here is going to be huge.

So, I guess my advice (again, AS a guitarist) is don't even really pay much attention to the guitars while mixing until after you've gotten a solid kick sound and a bass sound that works with it. Then bring the guitars in, and make them work with what's already there.

All these tips are good, but they're more mixing tips than recording tips. I'm not speaking from experience, because I don't do metal, but I would think that the RECORDING principles for metal are the same as the recording principles for anything else. Get good core sounds with good mics placed properly and you should be OK. Any EQ'ing, etc....that you do to make it sound "metal" will be done after recording.

Metal heads correct me if I'm wrong.

No, you're right - good tracking fundamentals are crucial for any genre. Get the tones you're after as close as you can, watch your gain staging, leave yourself PLENTY of headroom (you want to be peaking at LEAST under -6db, more likely under -12-18), and just concentrate on getting tight performances.

Then, hit your DAW, remember that you're not after an "organic" sound, and bust out your compressors and EQs and operate.

Also, forgot to mention this - are you familiar with parallel compression on drums? The idea is you add a send to the drum bus, send the entire thing to a compressor with a quick attack, and mash the hell out of the signal. Mix this back behind the uncompressed (or, less compressed - most metal guys I know are compressing each part of the kit individually usually with multiple compressors) bus maybe -6db back, adjusted to taste - the idea is the uncompressed tracks will give you a crisp attack, but the heavily compressed ones will fill in as the hits start to decay and give you a lot of punch and body.

Really, so much of metal is creatively controlling transient response - not losing that in your face impact from every attack, but also finding ways to add body and punch behind it. If you're not good with a compressor, I'd STRONGLY advice pulling up every single compression plug you have access to, grabbing as many more as you can find (Antress makes a couple good freeware ones), and then just spending a few days experimenting with them on simple waveforms - maybe a single kick drum hit, looped. Try different settings, paying attention to how you can physically reshape the response of the sample, and then experiment using multiple compressors to do different things (say, for that overly-clicky drum sound, using two compressors, a gentle one with a fast attack to control the transient a bit, and a heavy one with an attack slow enough to really let the transient through before it clamps down, to basically crush the sustain and leave plenty of room for the bass - this would be an alternate approach to sidechaining the bass to leave room for the kick, though depending on what else is in the mix or how you choose to compromise both could be valid).

I'm actually going to disagree with the "use two guitars" thing, at least for fairly technical stuff. Different pickup positions in the same guitar, sure (I personally dig the sound of the middle position on H-H guitars for layering with a bridge pickup sound), but you begin to run into ever-so-slight intonation differences between even well-intonated guitars when you start doubling with different ones.

I agree completely. Double, triple, quadruple the guitar all you want but use the same guitar for the multiple takes. Then if the intonation is off slightly it will be the same with the next pass and therefore won't be noticeable (or at least as noticeable depending on how well the guitar has been maintained).

Lots of good advice here to get you started, i would only emphasize to watch how much low frequency guitar sound you have. The more there is of it, the more indistinct and "muddy" the bass and kick will sound and it won't let the true punch of the music shine through.

Right on.
Guitars gotta be big and strong. Scooped mids are acceptable for the Nu-metal sound. I don't care much for it myself, but some guys dig it.
The drums are critical. The snare needs to have a mid-scooped tone if you will. Nice crack & big bottom. (Man, that just sounds bad to say it)
The kick is the kicker. Very hard to get a nice thump. Try this:
Get a good mic, place it closer to the front head. Get your gain up so that its almost too much. Get a good rack mount compressor. NOT a plug in. Get that threshold to squish the sound. Then, most importantly, have a gate set to only open at high levels, then have it open and shut VERY QUICKLY. This will allow a massive very short blast of tone through. Make sure to have your lows boosted slightly and maybe a bit of 4K for attack.

Good luck

Scooped mids are acceptable for the Nu-metal sound. I don't care much for it myself, but some guys dig it.

And how many nu-metal albums routinely win accolades for their spectacular mixes? The guitar is a midrange-driven instrument. Scooping the hell out of the mids is almost never a good idea.

I'm a fan of Ribbons period and mixed just right with a 57 (or i5) is pretty much nirvana IMO.

I utilize a system to manage phase since both mics are never exactly in phase over the freq spectrum. this can work to your advantage. phase management is an excellent EQ system and really aids in the hi-freq energy management of metal gtr tone.

FWIW, here's several really different reamped tones...

Dark and Wicked 5150 Tone

5150 and Rev1 Reamp

Dual Recto ...and here's some micing pics

TC001.jpg

TC002.jpg

Last edited:
Drums will be super important. For most other genres, I just do 4 mics on the drums, but for metal, you are going to need a mic on every single drum. Put compression on all of those mics until you get lots of smack out of every hit. The drums are a huge driving power in metal, so you need to make sure the rhythm is spot on, too. Unlike jazz (or rock, I guess), you don't really get to play with the tempo much. Make sure the drummer is accurate, and if not, you'll need to correct later (which sucks). It also helps if the drummer really hits things hard.

Another thing to think about for drums is that you want to place the mic in such a way that you get a good amount of click in the first place. You may even want to use a second mic right next to the beater just for the click, but you might have to watch for phase issues in that case (probably not too much if you EQ out most of the low end).

I agree with the SansAmp for bass. Almost all of the metal bassists I've looked up use one. Make sure you can hear it, too.

I like to think of metal as rap for white guys. It really is all about the rhythm, so I want to stress again how important it is that the everyone's timing is spot-on.

I think the most useful thing you can do is to listen to your favorite metal album--the one whose sound you are trying to emulate--very, very closely with a good set of headphones. Try to single out the instruments (in your head, not with EQ) while you listen and see how they fit it in.

With bass, i would reccomend using a good DI box AND have that amped up too and mic the amp too. Use like a beta52 for the low frequencies and then a 57 or something similar for the mids.

One more thing, if your using a cheap bass, you'll get a cheap sound. A good bass is VERY important.

what about recording slap bass when i try i get alot of clicking

You really don't hear much slap bass in metal, but...

Generally, if you're doing a lot of slapping and popping, you'll want to compress your bass pretty heavily. The dynamic range of a slapped/popped signal is through the roof. This is one of the few times when I might actually recommend using a compressor before tracking - grab a bass compression pedal, compress to taste, track, and hopefully it'll sound better.

That said, it could be as simple as technique. Does your bassist get these same "clicks" when he's playing live, but they're just not as obvious until he's recording?

Back