Metal mix! Comments or suggestions will be welcomed.

killthepixelnow

Do it right or dont do it
Hey there guys. I'm working on this metal track. I'd like to know if you have some comments or suggestions to improve it. My only concern is the bass right now, I think is too up-front. Other than that, I think guitars are distinguishable on the mix, which is something I struggled to achieve.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
The guitars aren't really doing it for me. They lack fullness and leaves the song sounding thin. It's probably just my preference but I think a traditional distortion would do the trick. But, like I said, it's just my preference. They are different which does make the song stand apart from others in the genre. I also think the vocals could come up with a boost in the highs department. Everything else sounds good and well mixed.

The guitars aren't really doing it for me. They lack fullness and leaves the song sounding thin. It's probably just my preference but I think a traditional distortion would do the trick. But, like I said, it's just my preference. They are different which does make the song stand apart from others in the genre. I also think the vocals could come up with a boost in the highs department. Everything else sounds good and well mixed.

Hey man, I really appreciate your input on this matter. Fortunately, when I was recording guitars we had a clean take that we could use to re-amp it using different microphones on a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. Here you can hear the original source (the one that is on the track of the topic) plus five other options (30-second excerpts):

Shure SM-57 (Peavey Bravo 112)

Neumann (Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier)

Sennheiser 421 (Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier)

Sennheiser 906 (Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier)

Shure SM-57 (Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier)

Shure SM-57 + Sennheiser 906 (Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier)

My vote goes to the Shure-SM57 re-amped with Mesa Boogie, what do you think?

Back