metal/hardcore/screamo/rock/whatever demo

donkeystyle

I want this to sound more professional damn it.

it seems like most professional recordings are able to have a lot more highend and lowend content without being muddy or shrill than I'm able to get.

I guess I just want it to sound better. what would you guys do differently?

oh, I realise the guitar on the right is sloppy. we're just going to use it to write vocal parts for it so I'm not too worried about it. we'll eventually retrack at least the guitars, if not everything.

edit: forgot the link:

the end is going to fade out eventually. I just don't see any reason to do it till the song is done.

thanks in advance guys

Last edited:
i think it sounds pretty good, actually. the downside to sites like that are they only allow 128kbps streams, so its very lossy with the cymbals. the snare sounds a bit dull and bassy but i imagine thats just because thats really how the snare sounds. only way to fix it would be a new kit.
for some reason when i see the word "screamo" these days all i can think of are terrible mtv pop bands that scream 4 times in a song. hopefully this doesn't succumb to that!

soundclick never works for me. well, they want me to register, and that is something i'm not willing to spend 10 seconds to do.

I could probably fix the snare. it's a nice good sounding snare (a pearl dennis chamber snare), but I added some low end to it. I'll take it back out and turn up the mic on the bottom of it. I don't think the bass guitar is clear enough.

where should I put this that will sound better and work for everyone?

we want to have about the same amount of screaming as singing. not back up scream crap. we really like refused, thrice, and underoath. a vocalist close to one of those bands would be great. I was hesitant about calling is screamo, but I know that someone will at some point so I figure there's nothing I can do about it. I guess if you can't beat them, join them?

thanks for listening guys.

underoath has a whiny singer, but I really like the new cd. I hated the old stuff. the guys screams are really good I think.

new link for anyone interested:

thanks again guys

Last edited:
What everyone else has said is one the spot.
the bit around 0.50secs show the bass with some defintion as it's not competing with everything else. Elsewhere, however, that defiinition doesn't exist & the bass is buried in the guitars & bass drum. Volume will help a little but you need to find a sweet spot in the EQ & kick that up with a corresponding cut elsewhere in the instrumentation.

I just realised I uploaded the wrong mp3. it's still at 128kbps

new link:

that's a new mix too, but the bass still isn't much if any more defined.

Last edited:
donkeystyle said:
I want this to sound more professional damn it.

it seems like most professional recordings are able to have a lot more highend and lowend content without being muddy or shrill than I'm able to get.
some things to try...

record the guitars with more highs than you think you need. at first it'll feel wrong, but you'll find you won't need to go to the EQ other than to balance it during mix. if it's harsh, move the mic closer to the speaker, aimed a bit off center... where the dust cap meets the speaker cone. move the mic... it'll make a huge difference. use a 57 sufficiently loaded.

boost the bass around 3K and cut some 300 to 600 there abouts. attempt to have the guitar and bass tonally similar. try to extend the guitar tone with the bass... i.e. one instrument. this will make it much more aggressive sounding

cut the drum overheads below 500Hz

boost the drum overheads above 11K for air.

narrowly notch the guitar around 2.3K, low pass around 7.5K and high pass above 90Hz. big, big, big comes from the bass/guitar combo, not the guitars

that snare has absolutely no punch, no crack. and for this music, it really needs it or the snare and bass drum are gonna sound exactly the same.

still, this band plays amaizng together, and the song is awesome.

try cutting some lows from the snare, and adding some mid-highs to make it crack.

That sounds fantastic! All I'd do is add some air to the whole mix and, once it has vocals, MAYBE drop the hi-hat a little bit if it's possible. What the heck did you record all of this with?

which mix did you listen to? the link in my newest post, or one of the other links?

it was all with protools le and a digi002

I listened to the second mix, and the first one. The second was much better. What'd you mic the drums with? What about amplifiers? I am sorry for the question, it's just good. I am really picky and for not being a 'pro' recording, I'd love some insight, 'cause it's GOOD!

snare was a rode ntk on top.....that wasn't the best decision.....and a sennheiser e609 on bottom......also not the best decision.

the overheads were rode nt5's.

the toms were originally mic'd with md421's, but the tuning on the toms sucked and we ended up drumagoging them. same thing happened with the bassdrum. we did keep the outside bassdrum mic though, which was an atm25.

the bass was fender pbass direct in through a dbx 386.

the guitars are a gibson lespaul r7 and a gibson cs 356 and are temporary and were recorded using a little line 6 spider2 practice amp.I think the sound is passable, but we do have good amps and want to re-record. the problem is, we live in an apartment and the nearest place we can take our gear to and record for free right now is my aunts house and it's about 40 minutes away.

nothing too fancy, but some decent stuff was used. we need to get new heads on the toms and spend more time tuning them and same thing with the bass drum. we would prefer to not have to trigger.

Well, I think if you rectify the problems you already have identified...Different mics for the snare and better tuning, with some big-time guitar amps, this is gonna be a wonder of a recording.

Back