Metal Guitar Rig

Well I have made my decision! Interestingly enough, even though I said I wouldnt go boogie, I am going an interesting route.

Carvin M22 pickups ==> rectifier recording pre ==> rectifier 2:100 stereo rack mount amp ==> custom weber USA 4X12 cabs.

This way I can get a few different preamps and have some fun!

I use a Mesa boogie Strategy 500, 200/200 for the power.
JMP-1 Pre, out to JCM 900's for the clarity. My ears still ring from that gig back in 94"!! :eek: Holy shit!

While looking for a sound, I tried a Zoom tri-metal through a 30-watt tube head. VERY HEAVY sounds available, especially "Death metal"-type of low end rumble with a screeching top.

..I'm more into a heavy rock/blackmetaaalll- type of sound, with pronounced dynamics and chiming higher strings, so I ended up with a Koch tube-preamp pedal, good dynamics, but not enough distortion for Deathmetal, plenty for Rock/Blackmetal.

...now learning to mic on tape, especially the midtone-punch..

How about one of the many stand alone preamps with built-in fx run through a Boogie or Marshall poweramp? I got a teeth shattering tone by running a Rocktron Prophecy II through a Mesa 2:90 poweramp then out through a Marshall 4x12 cab. Mix up some of the staples and you can get vicious tones that sound a bit different than the norm. For death metal tones though, I found the setup on a google search before that Entombed used on 'Left Hand Path' (dubbed the 'buzz saw' tone) pretty simple as far as I remember, just a Boss pedal on front of a crank high gain Marshall - that was one of the most bizarre fucked up heavy tones ever.

The dude was asking in 2006, if he hasnt found the right tone by now, not even further suggestions will help him.

I'll list some of the bands and their setup that I've seen them use live.

I've seen opeth use Laney tube amps. opeth doesn't use much gain though.

Necrophagist uses Engle tube amps. again not much gain but awesome sound.

Ahh im done thinking of bands. here goes some more metal suggestions I've seen

tube amps

Krank amps
Mesa Triple recto,
Peavey 5150/6150
VHT Pitbull
Marshall Jcm 800/900
Ampeg Vh series
Crate Stealth series

IDK
Maybe for a unique tone go find an old fender bassman or similair head and get a modern closed back 4x12 and find a good distortion pedal.

late late late

3 years later. but i think alot of people will still read this forum so it doesnt hurt to post. i think if you are looking for original sound do things that others not so much are not doing as do something you they are but maybe not of the same genre maybe if you try using the orange retroverb and a gretch guitar. or maybe try experimenting with under powerd amps like 80 wt's and maxing them out run a shit load of effects or instead of using a normal 4x12 or 2x12 cab try using an organ dopler cab with a real slow rotation it will give of a real errie sound or there is always of brands like diesel or at some point messa put out a small bage coloured all in one jazz cab cant recall exactly but you can achive alot with a bit of creativity

Well, in the right hands you'll get a good and unique tone out of anything.

absolutely right!

Its all in your hands as the player to get unique tone. The guitar itself, the player, and the amp are all the factors that make up your tone. Kim Thayl from Soundgarden played a Peavey VTM Head. But his techique playing the instument is where the mojo comes from.

I personally think those over priced amps are just as good as some of the older marshall or boogie. I have a first run of the JCM2000 DSL 50 heads (with the drake). You can do a tranny upgrade on the later production models to pretty much get the same thing. Great amp for the money.

Back