messing with my signal chain

puffin

I have recently bought a Rode NTK, RNP and RNC. These are going into my Delta 66 and then into cubase sx and I am very happy with the results (I can't stop giggling like a wee girl when I listen back!)

I do have a small problem, though. When listening to a take, I sometimes get feedback problems with the mic and speakers being on at the same time. Fine - turn down the gain on the preamp. This is getting to be a bit of a nuisance, though. I have a beringer UB1202 eurorack that I was using for pre's before my new stuff. I was wondering if i could run the outputs from the compressor into a channel on the mixer and use the fader or level control to turn the gain while listening back - or will this just trash all the fine work my new gear is doing?

I'm not really enquiring about the con's of behringer gear or anything, but would it make a differenceif the small mixer was a mackie or something else?

puffin said:
I do have a small problem, though. When listening to a take, I sometimes get feedback problems with the mic and speakers being on at the same time. Fine - turn down the gain on the preamp. This is getting to be a bit of a nuisance, though. I have a beringer UB1202 eurorack that I was using for pre's before my new stuff. I was wondering if i could run the outputs from the compressor into a channel on the mixer and use the fader or level control to turn the gain while listening back - or will this just trash all the fine work my new gear is doing?

I'm not really enquiring about the con's of behringer gear or anything, but would it make a differenceif the small mixer was a mackie or something else?

Your problem has nothing to do with the quality of your equipment. You'll get a feedback loop with a live mic and monitors in a small reflective room no matter what. (I'm assuming that your room doesn't have much acoustic treatment.) You can improve things slightly by using a mic with a tight cardiod pattern (make sure that the NTK is in Cardiod mode, for starters) and acoustically treating your room. However, your best bet will be to simply take your track(s) out of record mode before you listen to your take. This should effectively mute the incoming signal from your mic.

I'm a little surprised that Cubase doesn't automatically mute incoming audio when you play back a track. ProTools and Tracktion do this automatically for you. Perhaps it's an option somewhere in Cubase?

If you run your signal chain through the Behringer mixer, the sound will inevitably be colored by it. I'll let you draw your own conclusions as to whether or not this is a good thing.

- Jerfo

jerfo said:
However, your best bet will be to simply take your track(s) out of record mode before you listen to your take. This should effectively mute the incoming signal from your mic.

I'm a little surprised that Cubase doesn't automatically mute incoming audio when you play back a track. ProTools and Tracktion do this automatically for you. Perhaps it's an option somewhere in Cubase?

- Jerfo

That sounds like the ticket. I'll give it a bash. I actually never turn off the record mode function. Looks like I have been underestimating the software.

I won't have to use the mixer if it works.
many thanks

Back