Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic reverb issue

jndietz

The Way It Moves
Hi all, I was hoping someone out there would be able to help me out in fixing my reverb on my Lonestar Classic.

When a guitar is plugged directly into the amp, I get no reverb. The tank is fine (tested in other amps), RCA cables are good (tried another pair of cables), and I even tried swapping out the V4 (reverb) tube with several other worki12AX7. The LSC does have a place to plug in an extra foot switch to toggle the reverb on and off. When I plugged a footswitch in, I noticed that toggling it on produced an audible hum, and then toggling it off removed the hum completely. I can adjust the volume of the hum with the reverb level on the back of the amp.

Here's the kicker -- when I tap on the reverb tank, spring reverb comes out of the speakers! I can even adjust the volume of this by changing the reverb level on the back of the amp.

What could possibly be the issue here? It worked one night for a show, then after unloading our van, it quit. I'm not sure what to try next. I took the chassis out of the amp to inspect, and nothing really looked out of place as far as the wiring was concerned. I might take it apart again for another look.

Thanks everyone!

Sounds like an issue with the Reverb send to me. Call up Mesa - they have a really good warranty program and can probably put you in touch with a local repair center to get it sorted out.

Awesome amp, by the way - thick, round, smooth singing gain, and one of the best clean channels I've ever played. I remember the first time I plugged into a Lone Star, I picked up a Tele or something off a rack next to it, and I think it took me more than a half hour before it even occurred to me to try the gain channel. :laughings:

second the recommendation to call them. They might be able to talk you thru it over the phone. They're quite willing to spend time on the phone with ya'.

Back