Mesa Boogie FX loop

InTheFire

I just bought a used Mesa Boogie Studio 22+ and now that I won't be using an overdrive pedal, I'll need to running modulating and ambient effects through the loop on the back of the combo.

The manual says that the loop is designed for line level effects and that stompboxes usually don't send a signal hot enough for it. And I know that I don't like the sound of running them in line so, I'm going to try it out today and if the level is too low, what can I do?

You should be just fine.

I think that the problem may be that the signal level on the loop may be too hot for the stomp boxes, not the other way round.

Let us know how you do.

You know, the stompboxes sound fine through the loop and tons better than in-line. Now, I'm wondering if I can purchase or make a snake for the loop, footswitch, and in-line effects.

I this is what I've found at www.stagemagicinc.com

Check it out and let me know if there is a better option.

It looks good, but you can probgably make one yourself for less money.

Get two long (how long do you need?) cables and several double male jackplugs. twist them and clip them together. Run some shielding around them both, then put a power chord along the outside and clip that to the others.

Inform band members etc that you would appreciate it if they didn't stand on your cables.

Put your fx into the order you want and set it up. Run the power from the power out on the back of the Boogie and the fx loop on teh loop.

Voila.

Pretty much exactly what I ran live for 6 years - and I still have the original cables 15 years later.

[Get two long (how long do you need?) cables and several double male jackplugs. twist them and clip them together. Run some shielding around them both, then put a power chord along the outside and clip that to the others.]

That sounds good, Foo, but I think I will need four for flexibility and no power cable. After you twist these, how are you shielding them?

Sorry if I sound ignorant...

my vtwin sounds great at the begining before anything else but sounds thin and weak in effects loop from other effects units. Pretty annoying.

Zazz, effects loops are normally only used for modulating and ambient effects. Tone effects will always sound better in-line.

Same stuff that you would use to shield a guitar cavity, but wrap it around the ccables - then put the shrink wrap (you heat it and it shrinks around whatever is inside) and put the power cord on the outside.

I never shielded mine and ran th epower cord seperately, but duct taped them together across the stage - it worked fine.

I was using a volume pedal as the first in the line, and then back to two rack-mount multi-fx - one for the fx and the other for reverb and delay stuff.

You can do the same except you will have your pedals out on the floor and the return goes to the fx in.

You're welcome.

btw, I had the wah in between the guitar and the amp input, and I used the power cord to power the wah out by the mic stand, too.

Back