Mesa 12ax7's????????

dalley

so I have this Marshall AVTX20 combo and have wanted to swap out the preamp tube because the gain sounded a bit brittle/buzzy to me. I went over to GC to get the Groove Tube Gold Series 12ax7 because I wanted a warmer, more vintage gain. They didnt have any so I picked up a Mesa 12ax7 they had and just put it in ... to my ears, it sounds a little better, darker and a little more gain.

Are the Mesa tubes decent, are they a step up form the stock Marshall crap or should I look for another brand??? I'd love to pick up a NOS Mullard but they are a bit pricey. Thanks in advance

dalley said:
so I have this Marshall AVTX20 combo and have wanted to swap out the preamp tube because the gain sounded a bit brittle/buzzy to me. I went over to GC to get the Groove Tube Gold Series 12ax7 because I wanted a warmer, more vintage gain. They didnt have any so I picked up a Mesa 12ax7 they had and just put it in ... to my ears, it sounds a little better, darker and a little more gain.

Are the Mesa tubes decent, are they a step up form the stock Marshall crap or should I look for another brand??? I'd love to pick up a NOS Mullard but they are a bit pricey. Thanks in advance

Mesa does not make tubes. Neither does Marshall. Just go to eurotubes.com
and get whatever you need.

There are only 4 or 5 factories that make tubes. All the new tubes come from one of them. Mesa tubes are just rebranded sovteks or EH tubes.

So, to answer your question: Not necessarily. There is no "better", if you prefer the sound of the mesa tubes over whatever came in your marshall, use those.

I use JJ's from www.eurotubes.com

Farview said:
There are only 4 or 5 factories that make tubes. All the new tubes come from one of them. Mesa tubes are just rebranded sovteks or EH tubes.

So, to answer your question: Not necessarily. There is no "better", if you prefer the sound of the mesa tubes over whatever came in your marshall, use those.

I use JJ's from www.eurotubes.com
I've got JJ's in my modded 5150. A definite upgrade. Took some of the brittleness out of the sound. Darker and warmer without a loss of bite when needed. Very reasonable in price as well. Contact them www.eurotubes.com and describe what you're looking for tone wise and Bob will hook you up with what you need.

Mesa sure as hell doesn't make preamp tubes. They are almost always relabeled Chinese 12AX7's (Shuguang I believe).

I had a Univalve, which REALLY tells the tube tone and I was not happy. I would go with a Mullard (usually about $20) or an EI. Go with an Electro Harmonix for a bit grittier and darker tone.

Oh and JJ's to my ears were a bit darker and higher gain.

Yareek said:
Mesa sure as hell doesn't make preamp tubes. They are almost always relabeled Chinese 12AX7's (Shuguang I believe).

I had a Univalve, which REALLY tells the tube tone and I was not happy. I would go with a Mullard (usually about $20) or an EI. Go with an Electro Harmonix for a bit grittier and darker tone.

Oh and JJ's to my ears were a bit darker and higher gain.

I really like the ECC83 high gains.

I stand corrected, you mudsuckers!!

Makes sense, Mesa aint got no time anyway, to be makin tubes! Why do they bother stamping their name on it? Do they have them make them to certain specs?

Phosphene said:
I stand corrected, you mudsuckers!!

Makes sense, Mesa aint got no time anyway, to be makin tubes! Why do they bother stamping their name on it? Do they have them make them to certain specs?

They just select and test a shit pile of them for certain characteristics I guess.

HangDawg said:
They just select and test a shit pile of them for certain characteristics I guess.
Exactly what they do. Instead of rebiasing the amp everytime you stick a new set of tubes in it, they make it so all the tubes they sell will work with the fixed bias setting in their amps.

Back