Mending A Fence

Very striking and effective graphic.

Don't reject the vocal - it's sorta unpolished, but it's noticeable and individual and is actually the thing that makes this one different.

iPad listen: it works - bass, snare, guitars, vocal - everything's right there. iPad's a bit like listening through the mixcube or through the doorway - it's a major test of overall acceptability.

Earbud listen - also good. Better through earbuds, no surprise.

I'll try it on monitors later. Good work. Like this one.

Very striking and effective graphic.

Don't reject the vocal - it's sorta unpolished, but it's noticeable and individual and is actually the thing that makes this one different.

iPad listen: it works - bass, snare, guitars, vocal - everything's right there. iPad's a bit like listening through the mixcube or through the doorway - it's a major test of overall acceptability.

Earbud listen - also good. Better through earbuds, no surprise.

I'll try it on monitors later. Good work. Like this one.
Thanks Dobro, singing way out of my comfort zone, but necessary evil if I don't want to do instrumentals all the time...cool mix sounded good to you, I am on the fence about the bass guitar, wanted a fat , yet punchy , almost clicky tone if that makes sense ..

Thanks Dobro, singing way out of my comfort zone, but necessary evil if I don't want to do instrumentals all the time...cool mix sounded good to you, I am on the fence about the bass guitar, wanted a fat , yet punchy , almost clicky tone if that makes sense ..
Studio monitors: The drums are punchy and clicky; the bass is full. It works, and I like the sound. What would happen if you took some space off the vocal? It'd come forward, right? And?
I like all the space on the guitar solo. Fits like a glove.

Bass is big and clear, nice and tight with the kick and doesn't mask it. Guitar break is cool. Listened a few times - is there a rough edit right at the start of it around 3.21, like you chopped off a piece at the beginning? Be interesting to hear with dry vocals, would make the delayed parts stand out more

The music is great, especially liked the drum sound.
The vocal is the weakest link. Maybe more takes, and lots of picking over it.
My singing is rubbish, so I'm not putting you down here.

Studio monitors: The drums are punchy and clicky; the bass is full. It works, and I like the sound. What would happen if you took some space off the vocal? It'd come forward, right? And?
I like all the space on the guitar solo. Fits like a glove.
I am going to remix the vocals dryer as you and others have suggested, may take a new pass at them as well as I have practiced them a bit since initial tracking. Thanks for the re listen and feedback!
Bass is big and clear, nice and tight with the kick and doesn't mask it. Guitar break is cool. Listened a few times - is there a rough edit right at the start of it around 3.21, like you chopped off a piece at the beginning? Be interesting to hear with dry vocals, would make the delayed parts stand out more
Think I will dry out the vocals.Cool the bass sounding ok, been trying to get that better in my recordings.No edit before guitar solo, might be just me hitting my strings or pickup? Im kinda sloppy at times when tracking with unwanted noise , string rubs, squeaky sliding etc. Thanks for listening!
The music is great, especially liked the drum sound.
The vocal is the weakest link. Maybe more takes, and lots of picking over it.
My singing is rubbish, so I'm not putting you down here.
Thanks SLouching Raymond! Singing is so tough, hate doing it...I think I can improve on this one though so going to force my self to try some new takes .Would make recording my own music so much funner if I could actually add vocals /lyrics :)

I would process the vocals a lot less - the music is a good mix - drums are a little dry.
cool, yeah about to post a dryer straight vocal (gulp)
I did want the drums kinda dry , will look at adding some verb to them, thanks for listening!

Wow this is a changeup from the original. The delays sound good. Vocals are more upfront and kicking, the doubling is cool. I would be tempted to center them and wait for the repeat of 'mending a fence' to bring in the effects.
Guitars at 3.20 are sweet. What effect are you using? That's a brilliant break, really sets off the main riff. Nice job.. great jam

okay, here is a dried up no effects (except a bit of EQ,compression) vocal
Interesting Mix - I feel you need to work your vocals out - do you know how to comp vocals? - It seems you aren't as confident singing the lines as a whole - the lead guitar part at the end is pretty cool - although I think it's too loud - I think there would more mystery if you pushed it down in the mix more.

I dunno about your studio, but in mine, this is the approach that leads to a better wooh

Wow this is a changeup from the original. The delays sound good. Vocals are more upfront and kicking, the doubling is cool. I would be tempted to center them and wait for the repeat of 'mending a fence' to bring in the effects.
Guitars at 3.20 are sweet. What effect are you using? That's a brilliant break, really sets off the main riff. Nice job.. great jam
Thanks Bulls Hit, that effect is a Electro Harmonix Attack Decay pedal in the effects loop of my Pod Go.

Interesting Mix - I feel you need to work your vocals out - do you know how to comp vocals? - It seems you aren't as confident singing the lines as a whole - the lead guitar part at the end is pretty cool - although I think it's too loud - I think there would more mystery if you pushed it down in the mix more.
As far as mu vocals, yes, very un-confident, I think I perform it much better in my car on my morning commute, singing along to the instrumental only track. As soon as I get down to recording in front of the mic , I pretty much choke .
I do usually just try to do complete whole takes, one at a time, just replacing the previous take, rather than saving multiple takes and picking best attempts/parts and splicing them together. Will give comp method a try.
I agree about the guitar solo as well, going to lower it a few db's. Thanks for the feedback!

Had a listen to the new one Stratmonkee.
The vocal is clearer.
It is not actually singing. It is more speaking than singing, to my mind.
That is not bad, just a style. Rather like Phil Collins.
THe music is still good.

This is pretty cool. The dry version might just a little too dry. just a tiny touch of verb to sweeten it. The guitar, bass and drums don't sound like they are in the same space. Are the reverb settings similar? There is space on the drums, but not on the bass.

Back