Memory Question.

le Sonique

hey everyone:

here's my problem: i'm running pro tools LE software (MBOX) with a less than spectacular computer (2.70 GHz Celeron, 80 GB Hard Drive, 256 MB memory). whenever i get more than 5 or 6 tracks going with a few plug-ins running, my system freezes up. if i bump my memory up to 1 Gig, would this solve my problem? i can't afford a new computer, but could probably swing some more memory. thanks in advance for your help.

j e f f r e y

Well, I would be surprised if you can kick it up to 1GB. Personally I would not. I would take it to 512K however.

well, first make sure your playback buffer settings are as high as you can get them without getting any latency in the playback. and in the same window, change the CPU percentage (or whatever they call it) to 75% or so. This way PT is allowed priority to CPU processing. But yeah, I would suggest at least 512.

Celeron is not a really respected processor in the audio world, but I have no experience with it so I can't say it's good or not. The speed of it is decent though and I can find nothing on the Digi site recommending against the processor.

from what i understand the celeron processor is not suited for audio. it has less L2 cache memory on board. Cache memory is very expensive. The idea behind the celeron is that they can market a computer to your average home user that is on par with speeds of similar processors at a lower price because there is less of this expensive memory built into the chip. When I first got into this recording game I bought a Delta Omni I/O for my 533 celeron. After a year of not being able to use the product, and people from m-audio telling me It wasn't going to work (though they couldnt even begin to explain why), I got a P4.....problem solved. Do a google search for Celeron Audio and Cache memory.....

Back