Memorial Day Weekend - Be Careful Out There

My uncle served in Vietnam and survived a tank hit. He didn’t have many good things to say about his time serving there.

Them as well, but you still served (and made it back alive), so thank you.
I didn't wind up in Nam. I didn't actually get drafted. When I took my physical and was one A and then received my draft notice for the army I joined the USAF. By the time I arrived in Lackland for basic, the war was winding down and they were not sending more USAF people there. I was guaranteed air traffic. Went to school at Chanute AF base in Rantoul Illinois . I eventually got booted with a general discharge for weed. They offered me another job, but since I knew I would get the discharge and couldn't be drafted I took the discharge. What really ticked me off was I had told the recruiter I had an MJ bust and he said no problem! Took them quite awhile catching up to it? I was looking forward to the job, but alas, it all went up in smoke. My brother served two tours as a sergeant in the USMC as an aviation electrician. He was getting overseas pay, combat pay, hazardous duty pay etc., but he never faced enemy fire. The worst he saw and was in was a race riot on the base in Chu Lai. He was written up for not carrying a marine corp issued weapon. My father knew a senator in N.J., that took care of that. You can thank him. Me? I'm a coward. I don't know what I would have done under fire in Nam, but I do know I have faced some pretty dangerous life threatening situations and have not lost my cool. No one ever knows until the time comes and when it does one can only take it for so long until one breaks down.

Speaking of weed I started the day with some moderate apt cleaning and a few one-hits of this Purple Plaque strain I got from an IL dispensary while drive back to Fl from Indy a few months ago.

"When white officers at Chu Lai refused to give rides to black Marines, they were severely beaten. Later name-calling whites triggered a riot at the enlisted men's club; two whites were so badly injured that they were evacuated home. Clubs at Qui Nhon and a dozen other places have been wrecked by racial melees."

Back