Mellow Tune - Eggshell

scrubs

Not of sound mind
I haven't posted anything here in quite a while, but I thought I'd throw this one out there.

Thanks to DavidK, who provided the chimes sweep at 0:11.

Eggshell

Dude...you have one of the best voices ever!!!!

The song is pretty darn good....but the voice is the main instrument here.

Nice one man...well crafted, and executed.

What can I say??? You suck man..... :p

good to see you posting something scrubs. everything sounds well recorded. i liked the guitar sound.

i heard a flub on the drums, might want to check that.

Thanks guys. Trav, I'm sure there are many flubs in the drums, as I played them all myself and my timing is abysmal. :o ;)

Well done. It has the feel of a French popular song. I can imagine it sung in French, with an accordion far in the background. The soft crash cymbal sound is really nice. Vocal's the highlight. Personally I'd leave out the elec gtr power chord at 2:04 and punctuate that spot another way. I'd lower the level of the snare just a bit also.

Hi

I like the song a lot, you have a really nice voice. For the electric guitar at 2:04, I would lower the volume and remove some low end on it.

Nice work.

Jack Real

Tim - Thanks for listening. I don't know much French popular music, but I'll take it as a compliment. The electric guitar chord has certainly been a polarizing element of this recording. Some love it; others don't. Personally, I can't help but giggle every time I hear it, because it just borders on the absurd (maybe that explains the whole French thing...). It's cathartic and silly at the same time and I like that about it. I don't really know what else I'd put there, but if you have any suggestions, I'm open.

Jack - Appreciate the comments. I think your volume/eq comments are spot-on.

I'll try to post a revised mix in the next couple of days.

I like it. More of the delicate things are coming through in the new mix. I still think the snare is too loud. :p .....emphasizes the backbeat a little too much for the subtle nature of the song.

Thanks for the relisten, guys. Tim, I'm scooping out a little more snare for the final (hopefully) mix and it does sound better that way. :cool:

Nice man...I think this sounds a bit more cohesive.

Some nice subtleties come through at the right times. Good job arranging this.

Cool tune man... :cool:

Pretty cool. I like the arrangement and guitar sound. Sung very well. The power-chord doesn't bother me at all. Great job. :)

Really nice though it reminded me of Bobby Golsborough's Honey in a few spots.
The voice is the feature.
Top shelf.

What a great voice you have and a way of letting it come out powerful at times and also subtle at other times.

Excellent! :)

Timothy Lawler said:
Well done. It has the feel of a French popular song. I can imagine it sung in French, with an accordion far in the background. The soft crash cymbal sound is really nice. Vocal's the highlight. Personally I'd leave out the elec gtr power chord at 2:04 and punctuate that spot another way. I'd lower the level of the snare just a bit also.

I was thinking exactly the same thing about he French sound!

LOVE the little accent bells, so retro. I use a celeste to punch horn parts sometimes.

This also sounds like a song Gilbert O'Sullivan might have done. And I mean that as a compliment.

I also agree with Tim regarding the power chord. Actually, leave it, but drop it by a full 12dB, it needs to just be a suggestion. I don't mind the snare up so much, it helps the sort of rainy, dirge-like ambience...

Cool tuneage, man! Love your voice!!

OK, on mix 2 now..

This is tighter. Yeah. I think you need just a little 6.3K in the vox, just a little bit of air. Snare down a tad and wetter turns out is MUCH nicer. Th little bell accents could even nudge down a tad; they are kinda subliminal in intent anyway, I think. Power chord is still way too big, and if you can nudghe the timings on that downbeat a little, the effect was lost in the slight imprecision.

I can hear some G O'S style now it's mentioned - he had some superb singles - melancholy but that's pop.
Yeah snare down some please.

Back