Medeski, Martin & Wood type tune. Needs drums.

drstawl

Banned
MM&W are playin' my town this weekend, and though I don't have any tickets, just their imminent presence locally was inspiration enough to produce this synthetic tribute.
http://members.home.net/drstawl/midi.html

#8 in the mp3 gallery.

I'm in need of a real (stereo) drum track to finish this off right. It should open with a few bars of just drums, then join what's already there.
Any takers?

I think I'm up to it. Not sure how to lead into this, but this weekend is perfect for me to try this. Not sure if i can put a Chris Wood(um, I mean Billy Martian) feel to this but hey, Im willing to try

[This message has been edited by Kaputo (edited 07-30-2000).]

There's some excitement in this tune, for sure. Forgive my ignorance, but who are Medesiki, Wood and the other person?

Kaputo. Thanks for giving it a try. The heart of the MMW feel I got from this tune was the
Chris Wood style bass line. This starts at measure 12 in this 30 measures of 4/4.
Drums need to be pretty sparse at the beginning anyway, so if this is too tough to pull off on the fly just record 40 measures, followed by a shift/hack edit.

Dobro: MM& W are:

John Medeski
Billy Martin
Chris Wood

I'd suggest these titles:

Friday Afternoon in The Universe
Notes from the Underground
It's a Jungle in Here

Samples at cdnow.com

BTW: Thanks Alot. I went to CDNOW.com to verify this info and ended up dropping $55 on CDs.
"Tonic" by MM&W; "Soul Makossa" by Manu Dibango; Larry Coryell & L. Subramaniam, "From the Ashes"
That's after getting soaked at Guitar Satan for more Monster cables and Elixir strings.
Cat food is very yummy stuff though.... Ocean Fish Friskies is my favorite.

You stay away from that stuff - it's full of additives. :) Why oh why do they put color in pet food? And what's this got to do with mp3s? I know, I know.

Well drstawl, I laid down some drums today. 3 SM57's and an AKG D112 through a 6 channel mixer into my SBLive card. 4 or 5 takes worth. I've never done anything quite like this befor, And it sure was tough playing to this crazy tune! =) (4/4? Coulda fooled me. hehe. You've got some cool polyrtythmic stuff going on in there.)I've got Cubasis and a pretty good ear for where to place wavs, so i think I might try it that way. (Right now I wouldnt know how else to do it.) Give me a few days to work on it. Im assuming you want me to post the results in a single mp3 someplace? --- Kap ---

Cat Food, Cat Food, Cat Food, Again!

That's the general idea Kaputo. That tune WAS pretty crazy, no? And I DO appreciate your efforts toward this project.
Just let me know where the file is, or just e-mail it to me. I just got back from this biker bar out in the middle of nowhere in east Orange County where my friend's band was playing. Loudnaybor dropped in and dug the sounds as far as I could tell. Now I have 4 CDs to edit down to the final product.

I might try to redo this later in the week but I wanted to post something tonight. Sorry about the lack of compression and fx.
l280d_sc88_1288.mp3 is the first link on this page. http://home.earthlink.net/~eddie1xlr8/mp3.html

I just hear Mr Loan's interpetation. I was wondering where "one" was at. Now I know =) Damn good drum sound too.

This sure was fun. Also a great learning experience. I would love to try this sort of thing again. --- Kap ---

good collab.....drums counter the composition nicely...but I thought doc wanted the drums to start first?...fun nonetheless...gibs

oh man was i glad to see MM&W in a topic line. I bought 'a go go' by john scofield but couldn't stop focusing on the rhythm section, turned out to be MM&W!. Since then the 'greatest hits' package 'last chance to dance trace (maybe)' hasn't left my cd player.

anywho the tune was cool and agree w/ gibs the kaputo drums worked very well to complement and accent the rest of the parts.

but where was the wurlitzer doc :)

Great Job Kaputo! Is that a 24" kick? I'm listening through computer speakers at work, but I think the sound works to. It is a fun track to play to.

Thanks to you both for contributing to the collab. I think Emeric found the groove a little earlier than Kaputo's version, but I liked that very small room sound that Kaputo got out of that kit. Really warm.

drstawl, My pleasure. I was a little nervous doing this, fishing for the groove, plus this being my first time online collab. Glad I went through with it. Then I thought a midi file with a click in it would be a lot easier to settle into. Mabey next time =)

Emeric, Thanks man, same to you. It seemed no trouble for you locking it in. Gave it a sense of urgency. I love that feeling. The kit I played was an older Ludwig set. I tweaked em Friday, did some band stuff Saturday, and finally did the drstawl thing Sunday. Its a 22 inch bass drum with the stuffing mostly pulled out.

I also found out saturday that this Tascam 4trak my band used records just a hair slower than it plays back. (does that sound right?) Because we tried some vocal and tamborine dubs direct to PC but the tamborine wav dosnt match the song wav. you can hear the tamborine go from infront of the beat, to on the beat, to behind the beat. mabey if I time compress/expand one of these files. hrmm. Anyway, Thanks again Kap

bass sound

That was the patch (#32) for acoustic bass on my Sound Canvas SC-88. Now you know why this patch is one of my favorites. The sequence was partially "played" into a MIDI keyboard and partially written in CW staff view.

Back