Meaty drums?

Can you expand on that please?
Do you mean they sound too much like samples or that you don't like the hats sound? Or maybe the rhythm?

Cheers.

the hats are the part that, to me anyway, sound the most like a repeated sample of the same exact hit ... so it takes the dynamics out of it.

Totally wrong Joel! :)
I used samples that I recorded and just copy and pasted them in to make a drum beat. No quantization needed, and all samples started at the right point (i.e no gap of nothing at the start of the samples)

Thanks man,
ps. Yeah the dynamics are meant to be flat like that, I play in a heavy rock/metal band so the dynamics are usually pretty flat!

Check us out if you get a chance.
Our album is in all the major record stores now, yaa! :P

www.myspace.com/serotoneband

Weird.... I edited my message saying nevermind cause I didn't see that you said you programmed it...

Also, it is quantized.... You quantized it yourself by making sure everything was completely lined up, which is inhuman, and doesn't sound real. Try to "humanize" your beat by randomly changing a few notes up and down volume-wise (about 1/4db) and shift a few randomly a few milliseconds.

Tips that would REALLY benefit your hats especially are:
Make the hits on the 1 a little bit louder (or all the others softer respectively) and it'll give more life to them.

Another general hi hat tip:
When you're playing 8th note backbeats...make the off-hits lower in volume to simulate wrist action...your hats will come to life after that.

like TS ts TS ts TS ts TS ts (not too extreme though). Hope to have helped,

-Joel

Weird.... I edited my message saying nevermind cause I didn't see that you said you programmed it...

Also, it is quantized.... You quantized it yourself by making sure everything was completely lined up, which is inhuman, and doesn't sound real. Try to "humanize" your beat by randomly changing a few notes up and down volume-wise (about 1/4db) and shift a few randomly a few milliseconds.

Tips that would REALLY benefit your hats especially are:
Make the hits on the 1 a little bit louder (or all the others softer respectively) and it'll give more life to them.

Another general hi hat tip:
When you're playing 8th note backbeats...make the off-hits lower in volume to simulate wrist action...your hats will come to life after that.

like TS ts TS ts TS ts TS ts (not too extreme though). Hope to have helped,

-Joel

Good tips Joel.
Im not into programming drums, I prefer the real deal, for rock anyway!

Cheers,
Eck

Back